Creaking Rattly Drivers Door Window - anyone got a fix ?

JonnyG

Reaction score
My drivers door window is used a fair bit every day (up / down / up for car park tickets) and has, after being fine for the first two weeks of ownership, now developed a creaking rattle sound (like it is moving about slightly and the seals creaking under the pressure). It is worse when crusing around at 30/40mph on poor surfaces when every flex of the chassis makes it creak / groan / rattle continously :o.k:

Has anyone else had this and found a cure ?

Mine had this and Audi put some hi-performace silicon spray inside all the rubbers and sound has totaly gone...and yes sounded like glass was moving around.

Going to Audi next week, will ask what exactly the product was called.

Take a black crayon to the felt surfaces on the window/door frames. Worked for both my A3 and S3 :)

Take a black crayon to the felt surfaces on the window/door frames. Worked for both my A3 and S3 :)

Mine did it badly when new inc door card.

All inc glass was replaced by Bath Audi.

Mine had this and Audi put some hi-performace silicon spray inside all the rubbers and sound has totaly gone...and yes sounded like glass was moving around.

Going to Audi next week, will ask what exactly the product was called.

Was it called Krytox ?

DuPont Krytox lubricant – door seals, hinges, latches, squeaks and rattles | my-gti.com

From what I've read it's the felt that needs to be kept moist, so the above or black crayon may help !

Others reckon a bit of vaseline or tyre gel on the felt alone (not the rubber) will cure it. Will give it a try and report back ;)

Many advise against silicone sprays - short term fix but longer term the creaks come back with a vengeace

Well after some research using Google and a bit of trial and error I have found a fix :idea:

1st Attempt : On lowering the window a few mm the creaking stopped completely, so I thought it was pretty clearly the window seals that were at fault and creaking. First attempt was to lubricate the felt seals with vaseline (supposed to be THE best cure from my first research - a lot of people said this worked). Well it did improve things slightly but the creaking was still there for me so I carried on researching.

2nd Attempt The second attempt followed advice on a BMW forum :sm4: This recommended cleaning and treating the whole of the upper door seal right at the top of the door and all the way down to the hinge area (and not the window glass seals). Then clean the inside of the door frame (along the whole length where the seal meets the paint). Well I thought I'd give this a go and gave it a good clean and wipe with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl care. Result !! no more creaking at all.....the car is completely quiet again (well apart from the squeaky brakes occasionally :banghead: )

6th post down was the one that worked !

Window Creak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com

Last edited:
I get this in my 8P S3 also, common 8P problem.
I treat all window/door felt and rubber with Einszett Gummi Pflege Stick every 2 or 3 months and it has removed the problem.
The Audi dealers wouldn't even diagnose the problem.

My drivers door window is used a fair bit every day (up / down / up for car park tickets) and has, after being fine for the first two weeks of ownership, now developed a creaking rattle sound (like it is moving about slightly and the seals creaking under the pressure). It is worse when crusing around at 30/40mph on poor surfaces when every flex of the chassis makes it creak / groan / rattle continously :o.k:

Has anyone else had this and found a cure ?

Anyone tried a hard-soap bar? I used to use the 'thin' remnants of a soap bar to 'wipe' the window seals of my 1971 Elan Sprint and it really did work, shut them up and lubricated the guides: I also use hard soap on the runners of my sliding double glazed doors at home, and that works too. Try it. If it doesn't work then that's one less thing to try.