Crazy problem with rocker cover 2.5 Tdi 2004 A4

AvantQuattroUK

Reaction score
Hi all

I have the injector needle issue so thought I would strip it down so I can check the part number and order a new one. Euro car parts and others seem to be confused which one might be fitted.
Anyway .. things were going ok until I got to physically removing the rocker cover. It is loose but trapped in the front lower corner by the rear part of the plastic cam cover.
I have tugged, twisted, squeezed and pushed it in every direction and combination of directions you can imagine.
No matter what I do it will not come off.

Compeletely crazy situation... it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas on how I might resolve?

As far as I remember you need to pull it up far enough at an angle towards the back of the engine to clear the injectors then you can get some backwards movement to clear the cambelt covers.

Reactions: AvantQuattroUK
As far as I remember you need to pull it up far enough at an angle towards the back of the engine to clear the injectors then you can get some backwards movement to clear the cambelt covers.

Thanks for your reply it's good to get others thoughts. I have tried that but it is just pinched so tight it won't release just in the one spot. It seems like such a simple thing but it has me snookered.
I have left the injector metal pipes in place but disconnected so I can't lift it very high but enough that it clears and still it won't come out. To be honest I don't think the pipes are causing an issue as it pinches it before the pipes offer resistance.
It is so irritating...

This is where it's stuck ..
IMG 4689

Ok, I think the trick is to try clear it over the injectors then rotate up towards the inlet manifold. Mine was also removed with the injector pipes in place but unbolted. They didn't help but also didn't hinder too much.

I think once you've got the cover clear of the injectors you should be able to rotate towards the manifold then up out of the triangular opening formed in front of the forward injector pipe.

Reactions: AvantQuattroUK
Ok, I think the trick is to try clear it over the injectors then rotate up towards the inlet manifold. Mine was also removed with the injector pipes in place but unbolted. They didn't help but also didn't hinder too much.

I think once you've got the cover clear of the injectors you should be able to rotate towards the manifold then up out of the triangular opening formed in front of the forward injector pipe.

Thanks, will try this specifically in case I wasn't quite doing it right.
You didn't remove the from cambelt cover to get it off them? That will be good to know.
I do think something is not quite right.

No all done with the belt covers in place. The front plastic cover unclips to facilitate cambelt change, the rear metal cover you are fowling with the cam cover can only be removed after taking out all the cambelt and associated ancillaries.

If the timing belt replacement is due, this would be an ideal time to get it done.

No all done with the belt covers in place. The front plastic cover unclips to facilitate cambelt change, the rear metal cover you are fowling with the cam cover can only be removed after taking out all the cambelt and associated ancillaries.
Thank you .. I thought the same just wanted to check as it didn't make sense I couldn't release it.

If the timing belt replacement is due, this would be an ideal time to get it done.

Agree, it's something I am considering. Have only driven the car 8 miles though so wanted to ideally get this done and check no major issues before spending on a cambelt though. That I definitely want someone else to do.