Crackling speaker - may kill myself

dan small

Reaction score
My front right (drivers side) speaker is crackling when music is played through it. It's bad enough to enrage me to the point where I wanna bash the door where the speaker is.

Before I do that, is it just a tweeter? Are they easy to replace?

It's not the Bose system (doesn't say Bose on the grill or anywhere in the car anyway) and it's the one by the door handle. Please help before I go crazy!!

It's probably the connection between the door and the cabin. Does it go away if you jack up the volume?
There's a connector in the most impossible position on the door pillar and this can become corroded/dirty and you get intermittant sound at low volume.
Doubt it's the actual speaker as these tend to either work or not, you might get popping when a voice coil is on its way out, but crackling is usually down to the connections or the amp.

here you go straight out of elsawin

M

Removing and installing treble/mid-range loudspeakers in doors
– Switch off all electrical equipment.
– Remove ignition key.
Removing:
– Remove door trim → Rep. Gr.70.
– Carefully detach insulating mat on rear of door trim around bass/mid-range loudspeaker from trim.

– Use a screwdriver to disengage retaining clip -1-.
– Detach loudspeaker -2- from trim.
Installing:
– Installation is performed in reverse sequence.

thanks for the replies. Yes it goes away (or at least I can't hear it) when I turn the volume up. I do play music in there quite loudly and some of it isn't exactly speaker friendly I guess (nin etc.) but I'm sure it's got loads more to go.

Has anyone on here managed to blow a speaker listening to music too loudly?

if a speaker "blows" then it will sound **** at any volume as its normally the cone detaching from its mounting frame. otherwise it may be the voicecoil overheated and distorted to the point where its catching on the magnet.

More likely its a bad connection as andy said. try fitting a substitute speaker if you have one and have a listen.

AndyMac,

Can you explain further where this connector you talk about is please buddy? I have the same crackling sound and if it's just a connector, that will make my life a lot easier.

Cheers

The connectors are behind the door card.

This is easy to remove and the connectors have a tendency to cause crackle

I recently changed my drivers door lock and had to remove the door card.

Remove the electric window controls (screwdriver to release the tab via a small hole under the front of the arm rest.

Remove the two screws at the ends of the top of the door card. Then the whole thing will lift up and off. dont try to pull it off as the plastic lugs may break off.

the connectors are between the inner lining and the door card.

Max

The connector that gets corroded is the inaccessible one. Open the door, see where the rubber boot goes into the door pillar? Follow that line into the car under the dash. Not sure on the A6 but on both B6 & B7 A4's there's a connector inside the void between the outer door pillar skin and the inner skin. You can only get 2 fingers on it as the access hole is tiny.