1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackling from front centre speaker on BOSE

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by djoblong, Mar 16, 2005.

1. djoblong

djoblong Member

Hi All

I have a problem which seems to be getting worse by the day. After only about 4 weeks of ownership a crackle has developed in the front centre (dashboard mount) speaker in my A3. I have the BOSE option.

This seems utterly ridiculous to me - I went for the superior option after all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

This started as a barely noticeable crackle and now it's quite noticeable between 12 and 17 on the volume range. It gets drowned out much higher than that.

For the record I have had my volume at max (30) before to try it out but never for extended amounts of time. MOstly it's around 15ish and occasionally 20-25 if a REALLY good song is playing.

Anyone else had this issue? If I take my car to Audi to check this out are they obliged to give me another A3 or whatever whilst they have my car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers
    DJO

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. richy

richy Member

sounds like a blown speaker..
    can happen sometime.. and its life..

4. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

I've had the same (ish) problem for over a year on my A4,although it's the front passenger door speaker on mine.
    They're tried replacing the speaker and the head unit,to no avail.
    Unfortunately,it's such a random thing that they never get the chance to hear it.
    It differs slightly from your problem in that the crackling/breakup happens at low volumes.
    Anything over 10 and it doesn't happen.
    I've put up with it knowing that my new car is imminent.If it were a new car it would drive me nuts.
    I'm no ICE expert but I've always found it strange that Audi use 'active' speakers.
    Seems like asking for trouble to me.

5. miketweed

miketweed Member

Dash Speaker - Cool

Didn't know there was one. The book brochure says 6 speakers:

2 rear, 2 front door & 2 pillar tweeters.

I've got bose and i'd be chuffed about the '7th' speaker!!

6. dorgan

dorgan Member

Is there a Bose option with 10 speakers? I'm sure I read that somewhere...

7. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

not on the A3

8. djoblong

djoblong Member

No there is no 10 speaker option. I've found I can drown out the cracking at 20+ on the volume control but it's getting worse on the 10-15 area. Below 10 it's not there at all. Highly annoying. Is that definitely a speaker on the dash? Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't know why the cracking/squelching noice would be coming from there otherwise...

9. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

No it's the Golf mkV with 10 speakers.