Cracking in A3 front suspension

Ah-tres

Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I have a 2009 A3 1.8 TFS with 100,000 miles (160,000 km). In the winter mornings, when I first first start driving my car, I hear a cracking noise in the front suspension as I go over a speed bump just around the corner from my house. As the car and the day heat up the sound goes away. I don´t live in a very cold place. It goes down to 32 F (0 C) early in the morning.

They tell me at the dealership that it is a number o parts (bushings, etc.) that need to be replaced at a cost of approximately $500 in parts plus labor. I took the car to a general breaks and suspension shop and they tell me it is the shocks.

Who should I believe? Has anyone had this problem before.

Best

If the shocks aren't leaking oil then leave them

It sounds like top mount and bearing

Whilst the car is on the ramp check and replace any worn or cracked bushings and check the condition of the coil springs

After everything has been done take the car for a 4-wheel suspension geometry setup

As above, when my top mounts "went" I had a creaking/cracking from the suspension. This was when I went over speed bums, rumble strips or even un even surfaces in the road.

They are not that expensive as a part but it requires the full leg to be dropped out.

Let us know how you get on fella,

Thank you guys. So I replaced the top mounts yesterday (see picture, as I may not be calling the part by the correct name).

The suspension feels better on "normal" road imperfections. However this morning the cracking continued. Now it sounds more like rubber creaking and less like metal against metal. I went to the shop again and raised the car. The technician said everything looks good. He said the only other thing he could think of might be the bushings, although they look physically sound. He said he couldn't really recommend changing them yet (honest guy!). He added some W40 and on my way back home the sound was gone! He said that the rubber might be dry and that if the W40 "worked", then the bushings may need to be replaced.

What is your opinion? Should I continue driving it like that? The sound is not terrible and again it is only in the mornings. Most people wouldn't probably care, but I can be a little uptight.

Is there such a thing as lubbing all these suspension parts?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 20150126_090351.jpg
    20150126_090351.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 150