Cracked windscreen already 3 weeks in!

ferris

Reaction score
Great, 600 miles on the clock of my nice new S3 and a stone hit the windscreen and a ****** great crack has appeared. £65 excess gone in a flash to replace the windscreen. Bad luck or what?! It'll be the alloys getting kerbed next i assume!
:keule:

Same thing happened to mine 3/4 weeks into ownership so i know how you feel :(

I insisted on a genuine Audi screen so I had to wait another 2 weeks for them to get one in stock at Autowindscreens, thankfully no problems since.

S3 is black.

They mentioned the Audi windscreen to me and said there was no difference other than the dealer logo so i'm just going to go for the normal one as they can fit it tomorrow (unless it's raining)

yeah o got a cracked screen to , the crack is slowly working its way up the screen i gotta change it soon although mine has the dimming rear view mirror and the screen and a metal bracket to attach this to so im not sure what to ask for or tell em ...

mine has the rear view dimming mirror thing and the grey tint at the top of the windscreen. auto windscreens knew exactly which one it was so should be fine. they also said if they bring the wrong one for any reason, they obviously won't do it.

@ blazin when you ring up to get it replaced they'l just ask if you if you have an auto dimming mirror or standard one, then they'll bring out the right one. They usually have it all on there system they just ask to confirm. When mine was replaced i asked for one with an auto dimming mirror because i wanted to do the auto dimming/auto lights mod and i needed to replace the windscreen anyway due to a nice big crack so i thought why not!

guy comes now looks at the car and says sorry ive got the wrong screen, as expected! i just told him to fit it! going to get hazzy days to do the rest for me

@tdi do it your self mate its really easy ...i found this out by having a foul domestic with my girlfriend after she walked up and throttled me in the pub for some bird putting a peice of effin chewing gum in my hand , the row continued till in the car and punched the mirror in a fit of rage lol ... the whole thing flew off as you can expect i thought **** ... but the wire just clips in you then turn the mirror back on to the window bracket like a screw then clip the trim back on round the back very easy to do and will save you some doe:o.k: hope this helps

thanks for the reply blazin, ive already got the auto dimming mirror just on the windscreen at the momment (like you said it just goes on at a funny angle first then you just twist it on to the bracket, so i could just use it as a normal mirror for driving for the time been! its not plugged into anywhere. i did look for a something to clip it into, where does that loom plug into? then when i gave hazzy days a call the guy told me its a 'special' loom that audi wont sell me??? i couldnt see anything to plug into, well i didnt pull the headlining down to check tbh.

wow didnt know it was possible to learn sumin new about our cars during an argument with our girls, we should do it more often..then we could probli build our own cars! lol

if you have auto dimming already then you will have a clip coming out of the roof it just plugs into the mirror im sure , gona check now

edit ...yes the wire comes out of the roof with a connector attatched to the end if you have dimming already you gotta have this surely...its just plug and play peace of pee

Last edited:
noo i didnt have auto dimming rear view mirror as a standard, the car was a sport spec, didnt have this. do you think the loom would be in there though? as it just needs 12v power or does this run on can bus as well? because the sensor is all built in?

mine has the light pack and it does have the loom coming out of the roof not sure if you could just 12 volt it your self straght to the wire on the mirror im sure someones done it NIGEL NHN ARE YOU THERE ????

OH maybe that's why, nope mine doesnt have the light pack either! thats like the footwell lighting yeh? if it is, then no it doesnt have it!

footwell lights ,roof lights front and back, ambient lights in roof and doors, puddle lights not sure on the rest well worth it to spec iff your getting from new.....

id like external lights to in the door handles subtle white light just when you unlock the car it would be cool ....

yup! nice bmw touch which audi should do as well! ive only got front and rear roof lights! will get round to ambient lighting in room and footwell lights soon!