Crack next to Gearbox Filler Plug. My options?

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
A few months ago back I changed my gearbox oil.... Reused Filler Plug and Washer.....
Anyway about a month ago whilst looking under the car I noticed gearbox oil around the filler plug. So decided to clean up around the area and monitor.... Well it's very slowly been losing oil.

So I brought a genuine plug and washer from Audi, but the new plug is a security spline insert, so decided to reuse the plug and put the new washer on....

Well did that tonight and after cleaning up the surrounding area I noticed this.....

Plug was tighten up to hand tight and a 3 very hard nudges.

Please tell me my options before an expensive fix

Yay!!... gearbox crack buddy!! lol

Sorry... I have the same crack :/

5835772753224377905_13913566478149829.jpg

For me the solution will be to rebuild another gearbox because I have one and I can but I am not sure what else can be done easily... mine leaks... I have tried sealant but that didn't work...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: mark_S3
Not something you are ever likely to change again.
I would remove the plug and top up the level.Replace plug with the new washer, wrap a few turns of PTFE tape on the plug, this may stop oil travelling down the threads to the crack and leaking out.
If it still weaps I would be inclined to give it a good clean up with a wire brush, get rid of any oil marks and then cover the small crack with something like glass fibre resin or Araldite.
Tightening torque on the drain plug will be something like 30Nm or 20Lb /ft.

Reactions: newbster and mark_S3
At least I don't feel left out Paul....
I'm absolutely gutted because I know the correct fix is going to be costly as it also will involve a new clutch aswell.....
Just spent £700 in past two weeks on her with upgrades.
And was planning on buying new uprated shocks and Springs, bushes, and a few other bits within the next 2 weeks.

How long have you been running it like this Paul?

Not something you are ever likely to change again.
I would remove the plug and top up the level.Replace plug with the new washer, wrap a few turns of PTFE tape on the plug, this may stop oil travelling down the threads to the crack and leaking out.
If it still weaps I would be inclined to give it a good clean up with a wire brush, get rid of any oil marks and then cover the small crack with something like glass fibre resin or Araldite.
Tightening torque on the drain plug will be something like 30Nm or 20Lb /ft.
I'll give this a try as its going to be the least costly method... Lol....

Thanks for the advice pal

I presume trying to weld up the crack isn't an option at all?

Surely you could chemical metal that.
I've been thinking of that Jardo.....

Just didn't know what's the best way.

I'll follow desertstorms advice and put some PTFE tape on aswell....

So a tube of chemical metal, another new washer and PTFE tape.....

try some low strength thread lock, same idea as the PTFE, but may seep into the crack and seal it up???

The problem I had is the crack extends past the depth of the drain plug.. bit of a ballache..

Welding would help as long as you can get the sealing surface flat... its something I may try on my gearbox after I change it... seems a shame to waste an otherwise ok gearbox... I was planning on sorting this along with the head rebuild on mine but I don't want to rush the gearbox build and don't want the gearbox swap to hop up getting my car on the road again..

Blo0dy cars!!... :)

<tuffty/>

had a similar situation once, had someone do a clutch change who droped gearbox causing a crack, he didnt say anything and finished the job.
later i took car on a drive and after a while whining noise, parked up and phoned the mechanic.
he came in the morning and checked and said i must have hit the kerb causing the dammage and losing the oil and didnt admit ,
donor gearbox was comming expensive,
found something called quick steel 2 part putty, cleaned well and applied ,
kept car for another 2 years without problem then sold.

Chemical metal will seal that.

I sealed a sump on a Fiat that was leaving a trail of oil before the 'fix' and was still going strong 2 years later