1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Courtesy car insurance

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Chris128, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Chris128

Chris128 Member

Hi Guys,

My A3 has got a fair few problems and the dealer I bought it from has finally agreed to take it in for a week (or however long it takes) and sort it all out. So they are going to give me a courtesy car while they do that, but I just rang my insurance company to ask if I needed to do anything about getting insured on the courtesy car and they said I can have up to 30 days on another car but "there is a premium to pay" ... There is no way I am paying for it as the dealership are repairing the car under the 1 month warranty that they gave the car when I bought it a few weeks ago, but I just wondered if this is normal or if the dealers normally have some kind of insurance that covers you on a courtesy car or something? What have you guys done with regards to insurance when you have had a courtesy car?

Cheers
    Chris
  2. mac1403

mac1403 Member

Dealers usually insure the courtesy car for you mate. Best give them a call and check though.....some charge a nominal fee per day for this, others are free.
  3. Chris128

Chris128 Member

Ah ok cool, thats what I was hoping :) thanks, I'll speak to them about it (I think they are getting sick of me ringing them now but thats tough!)
  4. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

My local Audi have started charging for each day that you have it to cover this for you
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

My Audi dealer does not charge any insurance for the use of a courtesy car but the excess on the policy is much higher than I have on my own policy so I always cover it on my own policy.

My policy automatically covers a motor traders car loaned to me whilst they have my car in for service or repair.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. Lee_R

Lee_R Active Member

My dealer charges too, £6 a day I think for them to sort it or do it yourself and face the cost your insurer will charge. At least you have a choice.

Skoda and Suzuki dealers i've used in the past were both free though, typical Audi!

As with all courtesy cars, make sure you test how fast it goes in reverse!:)
  7. edition

edition Active Member

Free at mine £500 excess i think..
  8. Cruiser89

Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

Free at Poole Audi...

Like it has been mentioned. The excess is usually mahooosive!!
  9. smbAudi

smbAudi Member

AFAIK Audi UK insist dealers must provide courtesy car fully insured free of charge when they take your car in for service/repairs etc. However the insurance policy's covering them depend on the dealer and the excesses differe between them. The charges they try to lay on you is called collision damage waiver which basically either eliminates or reduces your excess but in my mind i don't believe the policy's actually allow this. Dealers do it to gain more cash for themselves however if the customer has a damage claim then they will put the excess instead of the customer if the CDW is paid!

This is my view from inside knowledge!! ;)
  10. Ash B

Ash B Well-Known Member

Free but £1,000 excess so i pay £15 so its only £150. Your dealer will insure the car
  11. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

Usually its free but beware the excess. I curbed an alloy and lost £500 excess. They lost me as a customer......
  12. jb0o

jb0o North East Forum Moderator Site Sponsor

Because I was under 21 Audi charged me £10 for insurance lmao, but as said the excess was £1,000
  13. Chris128

Chris128 Member

haha thats a bit harsh, I'll have to have a look and see what they try put the excess as. Thanks for the info guys - looks like doing it through the dealer is gonna be better than through my insurance company anyway
  14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

As others have said the excess level can be quite high, which is why I always cover any courtesy car on my own insurance. In my case my insurance covers the use of the dealers car automaticly and at no cost so it may well be worth checking to see if your insurer does the same or what they would the charge to do so.

Better than having a large excess, unless of course you have a large excess on your own isurance. Mine is only £200.
  15. Chris128

Chris128 Member

I did check with my insurers and I dont have that feature unfortunately. My excess at the moment is about £350 I think (I'm only just 21 so insurers do like to rip me off...)
  16. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Mine also covers this - do you know if you need to inform them or if you're automatically covered?

The full £500 for an alloy??? Bloody hell! When my car was in 4-5 times for respray they didn't even check the courtesy car when I dropped it off! I had £1000 excess and didn't cost me anything. Tbf the excess isn't a whole lot more than mine anyway.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  17. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Some companies in the past have required notification, but their policies did not specifically state that I could use a dealers courtesy car but were happy to transfer my cover to the dealers car for the day.

My present company does not required me to notify them.