Court summons for speeding.... ******

Note that the advise I was given was to plead not guilty at the postal stage and put a request in for all of the evidence that the police are using in the prosecution. Based on the strength of the evidence you should make your decision to plead guilty or not guilty and seek whether the advise of a professional to put your case forward. Pleading not guilty at the postal stage will not affect the final penalty amount. We have a right as citizen to know what we are up against and on what basis we are being prosecuted. The evidence sent initially was minimal and would not be enough to convict at trial. In my case further evidence was produced 2 days before the trial date. At this point I changed my plea to guilty as the evidence was compelling and the solicitor said that the odds were stacked against me. Entering a plea at this stage went in my favour.

As part of my statement I noted that a ban would not have a positive impact. Losing my job and livelihood could have a massive negative effect on society. 6 points on the other hand would force me to consider my speed at all times and make me a more aware driver and surely that is the aim of a penalty. I am not sure what the judge thought of this. She did offer a short ban (possibly two weeks) or points. I took the points to show that I was committed to staying within the speed limits. That helped.

Thank you for your comment jojo.

Regards

Reactions: jojo
I just pleaded guilty straight off. Didn't really have a leg to stand on, as I was done by a roadside laser gun, and pulled over as a consequence.

I was done for doing 93 on the A1 at Dishforth. I live in Newcastle yet I was summoned to Harrogate crown court. I ignored it, arrogantly and stupidly. Was found guilty in absence and was only given 3 points but got a fine of 360 quid. Good luck. Definitely worth gettin some advice from a solicitor though, they know exactly how to play the system.

in our local paper the other week there was I driver from Nelson with 36 points on his licence!! Freedom of information act shows there is a few like that nationally.

I had 9 points once yeas ago got them all within a 3 week period all 35/40. that was a nervous 5 years.

I was done for doing 93 on the A1 at Dishforth. I live in Newcastle yet I was summoned to Harrogate crown court. I ignored it, arrogantly and stupidly. Was found guilty in absence and was only given 3 points but got a fine of 360 quid. Good luck. Definitely worth gettin some advice from a solicitor though, they know exactly how to play the system.
You've been very unlucky. 93 in a 70 is usually 3 pts and a £100 fine. I'm surprised you even got a court summons for this speed.

You've been very unlucky. 93 in a 70 is usually 3 pts and a £100 fine. I'm surprised you even got a court summons for this speed.
May of been because it was my second speeding offence in a few months. Clean license any now, touch wood it's staying that way ;0)