Couple of braking questions.../ EBC giggle

Tom93

Reaction score
Hi all, my brakes are awful, when i press the pedal it feels as if there is no friction between the pad and disc, like the disc is slipping through the pads like its lubed up! Its not THAT bad but they are pretty crap and it dawned on me earlier that i should actually do something about them. Question being, are LCR brembos that much better than what we have on S3? As in they are worth buying? Or is there another option? I have read about Porsche brakes but i cant see them being cheap :/

My current setup is standard on the back and drilled and grooved on the front with redstuff pads. Oh and a warped disc. I also emailed EBC telling them about the crap brakes just asking for advise really and they tried to sell me a set of rears to go with the fronts...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email there is one very important question "what do you have on the rear".We sell a lots of Redstuff pads for these S3's there a perfect pad to use on your car, If there only on the front they will do just as you described in your email.If you a higher friction pad on the front and not on the rear this will shift nearly all of the cars braking on the front, if the front discs and pads are going close to 100% of the braking they will overheat and wear down very fast you Must use the same pads Front and Rear to even out the cars brake bias.

Best Regards

Tehehehe, i thought the fronts were supposed to do all the work thats why they're bigger?

You are correct, all the rears do is keep the car in a straight line, the front does all the braking, or at least most of it, I have mitex drilled grooved discs and pads all round on my car, the stopping is pretty impressive, a full set can be had on eBay for £250.

Ive actually found a porsche setup for basically the same rip off people are asking for LCR setups... Only trouble is its for the 312mm disc... Maybe it could be spaced for a 323mm disc or maybe need different adapters...

So why do Time Attack cars have rear discs almost the size of the fronts ?

I've got LCRs and I love them to bits! Braking performance is awesome for standard fitment brakes I.E non aftermarket

In need of some pads soon though, do you stock the DS2500 pads Bill?

Ive actually found a porsche setup for basically the same rip off people are asking for LCR setups... Only trouble is its for the 312mm disc... Maybe it could be spaced for a 323mm disc or maybe need different adapters...

Kits for 312mm discs usually use Boxster fronts/rears or 911 rears, non of which are considered a decent brake set up, they also have an unswept area of disc

The number for the calliper is 986.351.421 which as far as i can tell is a boxster calliper. They came from a golf with a 312mm disc...

Anyone weigh in with some porsche knowledge? They will look great i know that much!

Boxster fronts, the part numbers arent mentioned in the thread.

I've just ordered pagid discs all round with pagid rear pads and ebc ultimax front pads, hopefully will be an improvement but my discs are terrible at the moment