Coupe oil fountain!

Gethin

Reaction score
I have owned my 89 2.3i 20v Coupe since Christmas with some fun times but more bad times.

Just had it basically tuned to run and idle better, the sills need doing, but otherwise the body is in pristine condition, the problem is the engine.

I opened my bonnet today to investigate a tappet noise only to find my dipstick ejected and the engine bay covered in 10w 40.

It used to do this until I renewed the dipstick and changed the rubber seal on the oil cap, and it sealed well. I've just had it back from a friend's garage for MOT and this dipstick problem has re-emerged.

I don't want expensive bad news. I love the car but it's getting on my t**s now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thank you

Your oil breather system is blocked which is causing you the problems with the dipstick as it need to let out the pressure at the easiest point ,follow the breather hose to the crankcase and you will see breather unit (this is probably blocked )and then going into crankcase

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

You are probably still running with the rubber breather hose from the crankcase (at the rear lower right when looking from the front). This is a known weak spot and Audi now sell (or at least did 2 years ago when I got mine) a modified section made from steel to stop this pipe from collapsing in future as the original turns to mush with time.