1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could my overheating be related to airlocks

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by mystic.bertie, Jun 6, 2009.

1. mystic.bertie

mystic.bertie Member

2001 A6 tdi avant AJM engine

i have posted about this before and i assumed it was a faulty water pump, my heater mostly blows cold air, my engine overheats and there is enormous pressure in the cooling system, because of the pressure it was leaking from the rad so i added k-seal to stop the leak, i replaced the thermostat and flushed the system and i found no problems water was flowing with ease.

i have been planning to get the water pump replaced but for some reason i was still not 100% sure it was the problem, so i bought the service manual discs off ebay and reading up on the coolant refill procedure it has all sorts of equipment used to fill the system ie using compressed air and pressure gauges connected to the header tank.

so now im wondering can these overheating problems be down to an airlock problem as i have just been filling the coolant up by filling it by the header tank.

is it possible to fill the coolant yourself without having airlocks, i see there is a small bleed hole in one of the heater hoses on the bulkhead, would bleeding the system with this be sufficient ?

i would like to try this to see if it is just airlocks causing the problems
  2. enda1

enda1 Member

I have elsawin the factory repair manuals. On my 1.8T when I changed the water pump I had to refill the coolant. The procedure says you have to unscrew the expansion tank and raise it about 10cm above normal level. Then pull back the coolant pipe going through bulkhead ( to the heater) until you see a bleed hole. You then have to fill the header tank and let it run out ofthe bleed hole until there are no more bubbles.