Could it be too Black?

wellsy

Reaction score
I'm about to order but i'm still not 100% on the colour.

I've decided on A4 Avant 2.0 TDI 170 Avant Quattro S Line Special Edition.

These come with the new RS4 "style" alloys and the black optic pack which removes the chrome from the grille, roof bars and window surrounds.

I set my mind on a Black one months ago whilst I was still thinking which model to go for but i'm worried with this combo it may be too black - anyone got any thoughts on this? (or any pics of this spec?)

I wish audi would put proper pics on their website.

Cheers.

p.s. going to spec;

Xenon
Armrest
Ipod
Cruise
Bose (free)
And maybe the £400 leather upgrade.

I think I'd be inclined to agree, with so much black it may be to much. The only pic I've seen is a side on shot in the A4 brochure though.

I think the black optic pack would look great on a silver or red car perhaps.

What about Mauritius Blue??

That looks nice, dare I say it the white looks great too.

john2garden said:
What about Mauritius Blue??

That looks nice, dare I say it the white looks great too.

My wifes just ordered one in Mauritius Blue, so if you can wait till the end of March (ETA) I can provide pics!

regards

I'm wanting mine for end of march - early april too.

My second choice would have been Dolphin Grey but I'm thinking a lighter colour is the way to go.

I did like the look of the white one but that would be a brave choice. White has really caught on in the US though and I think it may here. I had a white Chrysler 300C hire car last time I was there and also saw a white Bentley C GT which looked rather good.

Choosing silver would be the easy choice and I think it would look good but I already have had a few silver cars including my current one and wanted a change.

I did see a pic of a brilliant red S3 with the black grills and that looked really nice. I do think the white looks good though.

My experience in 2 previous white cars though would mean I'd not have another. In the dark everyone in front of you will stick to the speed limit for fear of you being a plod. It really used to bug me as I drove for a takeaway and was on the roads all evening. lol

easier to blast by them though, maybe!! ??

Not in the car I had back then haha. Before I got the white Astra, i had a tuned XR3i and the other lads had an Astra GTE and Renault 5 GT Raider. It was tough trying to make money at 30mph while they were flying about.
Nearly 15 years ago now but those were the days..!!

Nostalgic wander down memory lane aside, I do still think people are inclined to drive slowly when followed by a white car, and it frustrated the hell out of me.

Here you go:

audi-black-is-the-new-white-uk

To me it does look a little too black. Almost like a base spec car.

A bit too black for me too, I like the silver roof rails on the standard car and matching grille, everything else is good though especially the wheels...

Another vote against the 'black pack' .......it looks RUBBISH, although maybe you could have white leather which would make it look really...............special!!!!!!!

I opted for the Valcona leather instead of the Volterra, not only bacause it is softer but, because the standard leathyer does not come in all black. If you order black you get grey inserts on the seats!!! which to me looks a bit dated

I'm still set on a black one. I wonder if you can de-specify the black optic pack on the S-line SE.

I suppose the other choice is to get the standard S-line and add the missing options (minus the wheels, unless you can opt for these)

wellsy said:
I'm still set on a black one. I wonder if you can de-specify the black optic pack on the S-line SE.

I suppose the other choice is to get the standard S-line and add the missing options (minus the wheels, unless you can opt for these)

I am pretty sure you can drop it and opt for the chrome trim.:think:

Just been messing about with the configurator at the Audi site. I couldn't find a way of de specifying the black optic pack but that may be an option that the dealer could note on the order form.

I've also specced up the standard S-Line to the spec of the S-Line SE and it comes out as more expensive - and that's without the new rs4 style alloys. This was the diesel version, if you did this with the petrol one you'd also loose 20 BHP.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll need to do this through your dealer. The configurator on Audi.co.uk is pretty poor.

You definately can opt out of the Black Pack. My dealer discussed it with me and also if you look on the Audi site at the used cars you will see some special editions on there with chrome on.

willie said:
You definately can opt out of the Black Pack. My dealer discussed it with me and also if you look on the Audi site at the used cars you will see some special editions on there with chrome on.

Sorry to be picky but I think that's because the black pack is a recent addition to the S-Line SE. :beerchug:

Go all black, the Audis have been using chrome trims for 15 years now, time for a change. :)

c91c78b1.jpg

Not sure about the lack of Chrome on the 4 rings, but from the pics I've seen they are still chrome on the RS4 ... but I do like the rest of it, as it plays down the new Audi corporate nose (Vertical Grill) that I have never been keen on!

I called the dealer today and found out that you can re-specify the chrome trim for the s-line se so I guess this answers the question.

gizze said:
Go all black, the Audis have been using chrome trims for 15 years now, time for a change. :)

totally agree (but I would keep the rings chrome and the wheels silver on a black car) If anyone wants to know what the A4 spesh edition looks like in black they advertise it all the time on the audi channell

Just got my 170 TDI avant Sline - Chipped to 210bhp.

Bright Red with window tint from B pillers - Looks great - Was concerned I might look like a drug dealer but well pleased - I'll post pics this week

Here is my 535d sport touring, that was all black and I really liked it.

535d%20blackout.jpg

Sold it and bought the M3 CSL, then swapped that for the S4 avant trying to be sensible.

Well every now and again we ALL have to be 'sensible' and take a 'reality check' ... gettin married, new house , kids growing up & goin to Uni etc ...

But in between we need to be a bit selfish to stay sane ... !!!

TDI-line said:
How about this.....

I think white looks great with the Black optic pack but i'm not that brave. I tend to keep my cars for 4 years or so and think a white car could look a little dull with time.

I went for Phantom Black and deleted the black optic pack in the end.