1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of keeping a 4 year old A3 TDI with S-tronic

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sebtomato, Jan 2, 2013.

1. sebtomato

sebtomato Member

Hi,

I own privately a A3 2.0 TDI 140bhp S-tronic that is 4 year old and has about 35,000 miles. The car is in perfect condition and has had no issues. It has been serviced twice at Audi (every two years), without any parts to replace. I have replaced the tyres after about 25,000 miles, and nothing else.

I am considering keeping my car for another 1.5 year, or getting a new company car (probably a new A3 or a golf). Keeping my car for a little while longer would be cheaper, and also I am not too keen on the new A3, particular the rear and the big gap below the dashboard.

Given the mileage and type of engine, can I expect some expensive part replacement to come up in the next two years for my car, like disk brakes or clutches?

Thanks!
    Seb
  2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

At that age mileage car will be due a S-Tronic oil change at 38k miles, new cambelt at 5yrs or 60k miles which ever sooner. Apart from that, not a lot needs doing.
    IMHO keep the car and save money. New MK7 golf sounds the biz, if you can afford one!
  3. sebtomato

sebtomato Member

Thanks. Do you know roughly what would be the cost for a new cambelt and the S-tronic oil change?
    Basically, I am saving about £100 per month keeping my car vs. getting a new company car (where I would be liable for none of the expenses, including insurance, service etc), so I need to see if keeping my car is worthwhile financially.
  4. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

Audi prices.. S-Tronic Oil £150 ~ 180, Timing belt perhaps £450 ish. Suggest you phone a few garages.
  5. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

Keep it, unless you have issues with the gearbox. If it was me I would keep it and take out a warranty on it because if the turbo or the gearbox packs in then this is when it gets expensive. Especially the latter !
  6. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

My car is a 2008 A3 SB 2.0 TDI 140 S-Tronic. 5 years old in March this year, cambelt being done this month, keeping mine for years to come! Happy motoring :wub: