Correct gearbox oils Quattro manual

robotplant

Reaction score
Hi,

Could do with checking the correct oil to change the diffs and gearbox on my manual B6 2.5tdi Quattro. Rang up my closet Audi stealer and they quoted me £30 for 5 litres of 75/90 semi synthetic oil. Not sure if they were just fobbing me off with any old oil.

Is this the correct grade? Would appreciate members input into good suppliers and recommended oils for the Quattro service.

Thanks.

John

The grade is correct i would also use fully synthetic, i have used Millers oils in the past, but others have used redline,motul etc. The price is about right, box oil ain't cheap, you might wish to try euro car parts they also do semi and fully synth,

Last time i bought gearbox oil in dealer it was about £16 for 1L ! I will be very cautious with oil from dealer that comes in 5L tins, unless it has the right markings ! Also gearbox oil from ECP is also a no, unless you're planning on a full rebuild in next 5-10k !

Thanks for the replies.

Would it benefit to use a LSD 75/90 gear oil in the quattro?

John

Nope, only genuine oil for me in these gearboxes ! I know folk who used Castrol Systrans oils but my experience with aftermarket oils is they react somehow with the metals in the gearbox and get milky hence hard shifts and stripped syncros ! Buy the oil from TPS, just get your chassis number to the till and they should supply you with the right oil- beware they starter selling oil by the paint- only kidding but i was supplied oil in 1/2L bottles from my local TPS, it looked too cheap, only got charged £9 for half a litre !

Cheers Chris, good advice as always. If I don't follow that advice and try and save a quid or two by buying inferior or unsuitable oils I'll have to take my chances!!:unsure:

15% off vag spec engine oils at the minute.

Use the code vag15 at the checkout.