cooling fans constantly on.

chud-godfrey

Reaction score
:thumbsup:hi all, i'm a newbie so be kind and help me out if i get it wrong.

I own a 54 reg A3 2.0 tdi, 3 door in red.
I have a couple of problems with it and i wondered if anyone could help.

Firstly as soon as the ignition is turned on the radiator fans come on and don't stop until you take the key back out. are my fans broken? as i have heard that they run constantly when broken, or could it be a stuck relay etc....

Secondly when you turn on the ignition the horn blasts for 5 seconds and then goes off, any ideas?

Last edited:
some kind of relay on the horn...

and is the ac on when as that would mean the fans would be coming on.

try it with the econ light off

It sound's like, the same problem that i had with the cooling system management system.

If it is, the fan unit, it will mean replacing the whole black radiator cowl with the fans, as i had to, not cheap but there is not much you can do.lol. it will cost you about £300-400 i would think.

let me know how you get on?

Tom

ok, so got the news today, that the horn has an earth to ground problem. when the ignition is turned on the horn sounds. Then the brain registers a fault and cuts the horn after 5 seconds.
It turns out that the contacts in the steering wheel are touching, probably because of my over enthusiastic honking.......so with some new parts it should be as good as new..
The problem with the fans is still a mystery.... more checks tomorrow

i've come across this fan issue before: you'll need to replace the fans and cowling etc as someone has already mentioned, then they need to be re-programmed in apparently. quite a common issue on the A3 so it seems.

Horn is a self fix tbh if you have a torx set to remove airbag & the fans, well have you checked the coolant sensor, does the dash show 90 all the time for temp, any scans of the car with diagnostic like vagcom with any errors for us to see?