Cooling fan removal guide?

Tommy53

Reaction score
Has anyone got a guide to removing the cooling fan on my audi a3 2.0 tdi 53 plate? The guy at the garage recons I need to take the full bumper off to remove the full unit. Not quit sure how to go about it. Any help is appreciated!

Has anyone got a guide to removing the cooling fan on my audi a3 2.0 tdi 53 plate? The guy at the garage recons I need to take the full bumper off to remove the full unit. Not quit sure how to go about it. Any help is appreciated!

I would take the front end off its easy takes about half an hour to remove the bumper and crossmember

So once the front bumpers off I can get to where I need to? Where's the module aswel, he said take that off. Sure it's down at the bottom right!

Is your battery under the bonnet or in the boot mine is a 3.2 so my battery is in the boot and my fan module is integrated to the fan however yours could be a separate module beside the battery if its under the bonnet "just like a golf"

the radiator sits on rubber bushes and is held from the front with two Torx screws left and right then the whole fan assembly is fixed to it left and right from the bonnet outward by two Torx . I did it a year ago so that's how I remember it.

is your water pump ok as vag water pumps had issues with the pump breaking off the drive as impellers were plastic check for a return at the top of the tank also if the heating works at idle however did you find a coolant leak ?

Yeah my battery's under the bonnet mate. Just got a feeling the modules near it on its own? Rightio thanks:) will There be some aircon cables attatached? Also would you recommend disconnecting the battery? Ill check that soon as I'm about to go tackle it now. Currently not found the cause of the coolant, the mechanic wants to check and possibly replace the cooling fan, cos they aren't running atall and as you can imagine its getting pretty hot under the bonnet and that could cause even more damage.

He did check for exhaust gasses in the coolant with that blue liquid stuff? And nothing showed up! Gonna take the egr cooler off also I think, just need to figure out what to block/ clamp the two coolant pipes with

Also I'm sure my water pump is ok, iill have a look. Was changed 30k ago

Also I'm sure my water pump is ok, iill have a look. Was changed 30k ago

I never reclaimed my a/c I just supported the rad with cable ties its probably the j293 module if you google images or audi fan mmodules never disconnected the bat it but its wise to and wait due to the crash sensor top right and left I would have your car scanned with vcds though

The guy scanned it the other day and there was faults on the cooling fan and module mate. What do you think of this and would you say it's normal? It's the cover under the wheel arch on the battery side, that looks like it sits under the intercooler pipe?

Hopefully the pic will work!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 649
Radiators are common at the ends but is your battery ok as it would be above that area it looks like its been eaten through with acid does it smell sweet ish like coolant ?

my understanding of module is it is a couple of relay nothing too fancy sure I saw a diagram some place.
unless you have a leaking intercooler

Does smell sweet but battery was changed a few days ago. Ahh right:) bumpers off now. Tryna figure out how to get this radiator/ fan off

cooling fans can be removed in under 10 minutes if you have a ramp I did mine at m8s garage no need to remove front end

****** hell mate, you tell me that once the front ends off ;) ha how do I do it?? I've taken two torque screws out from the front, but not sure which other ones need to come out

****** hell mate, you tell me that once the front ends off ;) ha how do I do it?? I've taken two torque screws out from the front, but not sure which other ones need to come out

Two Torx from under the bonnet on the fan assembly panel right an left.

Lol i was about to say same thing dont need to remove bunper or anything i did mine last month one fan was dodgy did it in 20mins in and out on my drive bit fiddle as its dark but easy enough

Haha cheers. I've identified the four screws however getting to the ones on the battery side looks difficult

Haha cheers. I've identified the four screws however getting to the ones on the battery side looks difficult

i dived in and removed the front as under my bonnet is probably a lot tighter than your never really thought about you having more space for hands.

Cannot get these two out -.- so close yet so far. Any tips?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 798
Just gently push the pipe aside to undo that one.

The oil on the arch trim is normal from IC pipes.

No need to take front end of, fan unit & rad can be removed with bumper in place.

Thank you all. Got it off now, no need to remove bumper like you's say however it is very limited for space.