1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolent level

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Smudge973, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

[Jul 28, 2007]
    Hello,

Noticed that my coolant level is on the "min" mark - is it just a simple case of topping it up with water ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. tmint

tmint Member

[Jul 29, 2007]
    mines low too, its says in the book to get it checked at a dealer as this indicates a leak :uhm:

although i just want to top it up, dont you have to use a special coolant as it contains a certain amount of antifreeze?
  4. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Jul 29, 2007]
    can't believe that you guys are struggling with this, lol, it's one of the first things my dad taught me when i got a car, checking and topping up fluid levels and checking tyre pressures and treads, etc

ok, Audi and VW use a longlife antifreeze called G12. it's pink in colour and shouldn't be mixed with conventional antifreeze because it goes a horrible brown colour. you might be able to get it from a local accessory shop, i got some from an independant just up the road from me. i got the neat stuff that you have to dilute 50/50 with water but you might be able to get it ready mxed.

in my experience you will, over a period of time, always see the level drop but it doesn't mean there's a leak, it's just a bit of evaporation. if i was having to top it up every other day i'd be worried but every 12 months would be normal.

*another public service announcement from ShineyDave inc*
  5. Smudge973

Smudge973 Member

[Jul 29, 2007]
    Sorted - Found the pink stuff today.. 50/50 with water and topped it up.
    Just wanted to be sure.. . . The maintenance book says "contact Audi when low" so I thought it would be a little different to the norm...