coolant warning light

milie

Reaction score
i have just got my hands on a 1999 a3 1.8T!!!

when i start the car after staniding overnight the coolant warning light flashes up. after about 1min it dissapears completley. the car take around 4-5 mins to reach 90 on the temp gauge after steady driving.

the dealer said this is normal and it is telling you that the coolant is cold and therefore not to thrash it.

the fans and water level are all ok

Any ideas??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hmmm...

This started to happen to my A3 after about 60,000 miles. It never happened before so I just assumed the sensor had gone.

I think your dealer is not telling you the truth.

Kev.

Yes mine does this too, normally on colder mornings. It's because the sensor in the reservoir is too sensitive. When the engine is cold the water level drops slightly, possibly below the sensor "normal" threshold. If there was a real problem the light would stay on.

Top up the reservoir by a small amount of water, just 100ml or so, and see how it goes. If it still happens try a bit more. Don't overfill.

Remember not to open the reservoir when the engine is hot!!!!!

Your dealer's explanation is interesting. It's "normal" for these models of cars but only because they all have the same over-sensitive sensor. What they mean is "they all do it but don't worry about it".

You should not thrash the car until the engine's hot, warning light or not.

Hope you enjoy the new motor!

Agree with Monkeytrousers.

My S3 used to do this, especially on cold mornings. I took it to the dealer and they just filled the coolant up to just over the max level, been fine since.

Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease, it has got a 12 month warrenty so if anything does go i can tale it from them................. I will top it up later, like you say only on a cold morning or cold start, does not do it if you have been out in it a couple of hours ago.............

Agreed that topping up the coolant to just over max solves to problem, but the car never did it once in 60,000 miles and then it happened on most cold mornings indicating to me that the sensor must be tiring??

Kev.

Maybe so in your case Kev, but it's definitely a known "feature" on these Audis. Mine has done it since 17k miles. When I reported it to the dealer they said it happens loads and to remedy it by topping up.

I agree with you MonkeyTrousers, it's quite likely that the device is over sensitive. The only part I take issue with though is what the dealer said:

[ QUOTE ]

the dealer said this is normal and it is telling you that the coolant is cold and therefore not to thrash it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sensor does not measure temp, only water level, so the dealer might be right when he says it is normal, but his explanation is incorrect I would suggest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kev.