1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant usage 2.0 TDI 140

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by FazS3, Mar 16, 2009.

1. FazS3

FazS3 Member

Hi lads a friend has mk5 Golf GT TDI 140, just wanted to know how these are on coolant?

Do they need topping up regularly? Checked the levels last night and after 3000 miles seemed like it had used alot of coolant!

Hoping for the a3 lads here to come and answer my query

Regards

Faz
  2. APL TDi

APL TDi Member

Well mine does not seem to use any, I know these engines can suffer with a porous head, or he might just have a small leak?
  3. FazS3

FazS3 Member

Yeah I think it could be a pipe, but after topping it up and driving 100 miles the coolant had not moved?
  4. Lex

Lex Member

i know with these 2.0 tdi a3's the cylinder heads very often needs replacing

im loosing a fair amount of coolant now and the cylinder head needs doing asap
  5. Mikey

Mikey Member

My DIS warned me last week "COOLANT". When I checked the tank it was slightly below MIN. I spoke to Audi Macc service dept and they said its normal for the car to lose a little coolant but if its losing lots quickly then there is a problem. I topped it up with some VAG G12 plus plus and some water and im keeping my eye on it.
  6. ByronM

ByronM Member

What year/plate and mileage is your A3?