1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Temperature ?

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by OxfordRich, Feb 21, 2013.

1. OxfordRich

OxfordRich Collecting Rings

[Feb 21, 2013]
    Evening..
    While logging my car for faults I spotted that VCDS shows my coolant temperature to fluctuate somewhere between 77 and 81 degrees C. This surprised me as I was expecting it to return something nearer 90 degrees C, so when I got home I took my wife's 2.0T for a thrash and measured the temperature on that as well - it was even cooler sticking around 75 degrees C.

On both cars the temperature gauge rises to 90 and stays there (although mine dips by a couple of mm on the motorway) but I was partly expecting this as they're so heavily damped to prevent people from panicing.

So, can somebody confirm this is normal and a decent temperature from VCDS measurements for this time of year (it's 1 degree C ambient temperature out there when these measurements were taken) or do I have two cars with thermostat issues?

Rich
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 21, 2013]
    If they had problems with the stat or cts they normally show up when scanned , stats maybe getting lazy.
  4. OxfordRich

[Feb 21, 2013]
    Sure..

I'm good at waiting for faults to get logged before I fix things, but I'm asking what temperature people see reported with VCDS when the dash gauge shows 90.
  5. OxfordRich

[Mar 22, 2013]
    Asking and answering my own questions again.. thouht I'd resolve this for any future searchers!

Today I replaced the thermostat. The car now averages 93-95 degrees C, which is much more like it. So that's the answer to my first question, yes it was stuck open or getting slow.

It required removing alternator and a couple of other bits which were easy, the tricky part was getting the top hose off the old thermostat, took me about an hour, they're well stuck on there. I expect this will become a common issue on the forum as time passes, I find it odd that out of both the 2.0T's on my drive, both had the issue. Whole job took me 3 hours and worst part was freeing the hoses from the thermostat.

Thermostart Part number is 06D 121 111 G (or 06D121111G without spaces!) and it was £25.25
  6. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    Yep, you answered your own question there.....I had the same issue on mine.....been right as rain ever since! Seems to be a common issue and I have read of many owners who just live with it....but I noticed my bus had an unhealthy appetite for drinking more fuel so had mine changed.

Good Luck
    A
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. OxfordRich

[Mar 22, 2013]

For what it's worth, we now know that the temperature display in the instrument cluster will stick to '90' for temperatures between 83 and 107 degrees, quite a range!

I'm not sure how keen I am to try this same job on a mk5 Golf GTI but i'll weigh it up i guess. The golf is drinking more fuel than the quattro with the same engine and I think this is why.