Coolant temp sensor replacement.

BarryAudi.

Reaction score
Hello all.

After a bit of research on here I decided to replace my coolant temp sensor ( Hot air coming through vents but temp not going above 70).

So today my replacement sensor came (which I got from eBay for £5 ... the problem ??).

Anyway i watched some YouTube videos, took the old one out and replaced it without anything going wrong. Now, I come to push the connector back on ( the wire that pushes onto the end of the sensor) and it just won’t push on.

I tried with a screwdriver to try and prise it in, I tried connecting it before I put the sensor in the correct place.

So my question is, is there a knack ?. Or is it because I bought a cheapy off of eBay ?.

Thanks for reading my story.

Barry.

Aftermarket sensors are tricky. I bought a cheaper BMW coolant sensor once from GSF and it leaked slightly and the loom socket fitted loosely - I replaced it with a proper BMW one and it fitted perfectly. I've also had fitment problems with aftermarket wheel speed/ABS sensors. I obviously haven't seen/examined yours but would be 90% certain the cause its an aftermarket part problem. Sockets not sliding and/or clicking properly into place is a common problem with inexpensive sensors and bulbs etc made in somewhere like China.

Did you buy a grey 2 pin or a green 4 pin CTS?
Regardless buying a cheap £5 ebay CTS is rarely a good idea.

Aftermarket sensors are tricky. I bought a cheaper BMW coolant sensor once from GSF and it leaked slightly and the loom socket fitted loosely - I replaced it with a proper BMW one and it fitted perfectly. I've also had fitment problems with aftermarket wheel speed/ABS sensors. I obviously haven't seen/examined yours but would be 90% certain the cause its an aftermarket part problem. Sockets not sliding and/or clicking properly into place is a common problem with inexpensive sensors and bulbs etc made in somewhere like China.

Awesome, thanks for the info. That must be my problem. I thought it was too good to be true, seems that’s all about because I can’t find a OEM one anywhere.

Thanks again.

Did you buy a grey 2 pin or a green 4 pin CTS?
Regardless buying a cheap £5 ebay CTS is rarely a good idea.

It was a green 4 pin. It went on alright just up until the final bit where it would quite clip in.

Yeah it wasn’t a good idea in hindsight. Do you know any places that sell oem ones ?. All I can find are the cheap ones.

Thanks.