1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant stinks of gasoline, mayo on filler cap & dipstick and misfiring. HG failure?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jackpilk, Feb 13, 2012.

1. jackpilk

jackpilk Member

[Feb 13, 2012]
    After picking the car up from a dealer this Saturday It's been nothing but a living nightmare.

It's 02 plate S3 with the BAM engine on 93k.

I smelt the coolant reservoir today and it smells strongly like gasoline, no coolant smell to it at all. I've also got mayo on the filler cap and also on the dipstick when I pull it out, also it's misfiring badly on full throttle, oh and also it's sometimes a pain to start which is indicating to me that the plugs are wet.

Have I literally spelt out head gasket failure?

I'm going to give the dealer a call tomorrow, do I have a leg to stand on? What's the best way to put it to him that It needs fixing by him or I want my money back?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Lavis89

Lavis89 Active Member

[Feb 13, 2012]
    it would sound like a h/g to me, i have a record for buying cars that have the h/g go within a couple of months, if you haven't even had it for a week i'ld definitely go back and have a few words with the dealer though!
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Feb 13, 2012]
    Jack, I'd give him a ring, tell him about all the codes you found when we scanned it and if Audi are going to do your coils for you get them to tell you it's a sack and try and get the mechanic there to back you up. Send him a copy of all the codes and any extra info you can get from Audi and see what he says. After seeing your car its in need of some serious work and shouldn't have been sold like that.
  5. a3tdi2001

a3tdi2001 Member

[Feb 13, 2012]
    Does the dealer have a website / email account? It's better to have any correspondence in writing because talk, especially car dealer talk, is cheap. Trading standards, and as a last resort the small claims court are worth bearing in mind.
  6. jackpilk

jackpilk Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
  7. jezzy

jezzy Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    if your receipt says sold as seen, nothing you can do.
    But most dealers sell these cars with a warranty.
    Take it back now, be polite and ask the dealer to fix it.
    Its the head gasket or a crack in the block or head.
    If the dealer refuses, contact trading standards and tell the dealer you are going to contact trading standards.
    The car was sold as not fit for use.
    Dont take no for an answer.
    good luck and let us know how you get on
  8. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Is the oil emulsified, or is there just a tiny bit of mayo on the dipstick and filler cap?

Short journeys in cold weather can often see mayo appear on the filler cap and the dipstick, even on a perfectly healthy engine. Its simply condensation thats mixed with oil, and unless the engine gets fully warmed up, and run for long enough to evaporate the water the mayo will hang around.

I would certainly take it back to the garage as a starting point, as even if its not the HG, they should be fixing the missfiring.
  9. a3tdi2001

a3tdi2001 Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    The sold as seen thing is a myth that is played on a lot by unscrupulous traders:

Used cars - consumer rights - Trading Standards Institute
  10. jackpilk

jackpilk Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Thanks for the advice.

The car is booked in to Audi tomorrow for it's free coils, then I'm changing the thermostat and temp sensor as it's not quite hitting 90 whilst driving then possibly a coolant change. It will be compression tested Friday to see if there are any further problems. I got in contact with the dealer today and he said to keep him up dated with the progress and if the compression test shows signs of HG or head failure then I told him he will be paying for the repair or my money back (In the nicest way possible).

If anyone's interested in this I'l keep the thread going.
  11. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Sold as seen means the grand sum of sweet FA. Sale of Goods act (1988 iirc) states that good must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold.

Return to dealer and see what they say if it was a genuine mistake they may well be keen to sort it so they don't get bad words spoken of them. If not you may have a battle on your hands
  12. patTTpoa

patTTpoa Member

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Jack do keep this updated!

Pat
  13. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Feb 14, 2012]
    yep sold as een is ******
    got a beetle a few weeks ago
    cts went maf went cat middle pipe rear brakes grinding air filter was about 20k old (he said it had had service by him) no way had it all in 2 weeks
    got the lot done FOC
  14. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Feb 15, 2012]
    Good luck with the compression test fella, think your owed a bit of luck with that car! I was down at Exeter Audi today and they were actually really nice and helpful, thats never happened before! If you get the chance pick the brains of the old, short, grey mechanic ( forgotten his name ) that works there as he was super helpful and had some good ideas as to my ongoing problems...I was there for an hour and he didn't try and sell me anything lol