Coolant ran out

Chris128

Reaction score
Hello again, yet another question! :)

Drove the usual 70 mile journey to work today without any problems this morning, got in the car to go home at the end of the day though and when I started the engine I got a little warning saying "Coolant". Then it said "turn the engine off and check the coolant level", so I did. Turns out the coolant was below the minimum marker, but still had some in it (ie it wasnt completely dry) so I found the nearest garage and bought some more.
Two questions here:
1. I put too much coolant in when I was refilling it, does this really matter? Its nowhere near overflowing but it is quite a bit above the Max marker.
2. Do I need to be concerned that it ran out in the first place? It had a service and MOT less than 2 weeks ago so I would assume that it will have had the correct amount of coolant in it then (unless they just did a sh*t job of checking it).

I had a look at the level when I got home (nearly 3 hours later thanks to a huge traffic jam! Good job I did top it up and not just leave it until I got home) and it seemed to be at the same level as when I refilled it so it cant be leaking in a really big way or anything. I'm guessing the advice will be to just keep an eye on it every day over the next couple of weeks?

Cheers
Chris

Which engine?

Also how much above max we talking cause to much & could be an issue, could always get a syringe & take some out, I would advise other ways but maybe removing pipes etc wouldnt be your forte as such.

haha yes removing pipes is certainly not my forte :(

Its about a couple of centimeters above the max mark, I guess I should try to get it back to the correct level anyway but just wondered how urgently I should be doing that..

Its the 2.0 TDI engine if thats what you meant?

If in the morning before use its 2cm's above max then yes remove it to the max or below max line.

I've overfilled it before and it was fine, sorted itself out. I thought I read in the manual that the expansion tank is designed to kick out any excess coolant if over filled.

Mine goes in next Wednesday to have a new expansion tank and cap as the one on it at the moment is spitting coolant out when I'm hammering it. They reckon there is an updated version that will solve it.

I find that rather ironic post, lmfao.

On one hand you say I've overfilled & its been ok sorted itself & then on other you say its going in for a new expansion tank & cap as its spitting coolant.

Yes its designed to kick out excess but there's a limit to everything & you dont want to much pressure or you'll blow seals etc, your issue may be a direct result of this aswell.

Overfilling by a few mm is ok but 2cm's above isnt exactly a small amount, remove the excess to be sure & peace of mind.

I should of been more specific. It was last year when I overfilled it and it sorted itself out without me having to drain it.

The problem with it spitting coolant when getting hot has been in the past couple of months and not due to overfilling.

OK thanks for the replies, I checked this morning and it was still at the same level so I'll try and remove some of it tonight when I get home.