1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COOLANT PUDDLE

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by WAFTER, Mar 1, 2013.

1. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

From two holes in the rear centre of the engine undershield two puddles of liquid, plus slow loss of coolant.
    Will remove undershield this week-end to investigate which looks easy enough, a mixture of bolts and Torz screws. With a back problem this may well be a problem particularly if undershield is heavy. Gut feeling it will be more than a loose hose clip - the word water-pump comes to mind and thus a trip to my village garage ( not convinced need to waste money at Audi dealer, or should I? ).
    From this mechanical thicko to those of you brighter and more able to comprehend such things am I on the right track?

2. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

On what year, engine etc?

3. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

Ill put money on the radiator same as mine leaking.. Common problem look for white build up in the corners

4. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

2009 2.O L PETROL

5. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

Thanks. Bunged some BARS anti-leak stuff I used in the olden days of classic car ownership. Doubt if it will work but out for a 30 mile run on Sunday so see if still leaking. Will check rad. as you suggest which I'm sure I can do without faffing about taking that floorpan shield off. Would prefer the rad. to be the problem rather than anything more complicated and expensive.

6. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

It's really common to be honest and you're right I am waiting for mine to get worse and I will replace. 70 quid for the rad and three hours labour isn't too bad.

7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Be very careful using these radweld etc solutions as it could block areas it shouldnt & therefore cause serious problems.

Pressure test the coolant system over night & it should show the leak point then.

OVRA3 likes this.