1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant message

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by KARL, Nov 1, 2008.

1. KARL

KARL Member

[Nov 1, 2008]
    Bear with me, I'm a bit of a noob...

Today I got the message "add coolant" on the dash of my 07 S3. The temp gauge is running at normal temperature - are the two unconnected?

I had the thing serviced for the 1st time a week or so ago for some ridiculous fee, surely these things get topped up then?

What do I need to buy, where from and why is it telling me to add coolant if the engine temp is normal?

ty

Karl
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Nov 1, 2008]
    Have you checked the level?

Mine was low when it flashed up. Ran fine, gave no indication that anything was wrong apart from the warning. I rang Audi as it says in the handbook to do so as could be a leak and all they said was top it up and keep an eye on it for the next week and if it loses anymore they will give it a check over.

There was a post on here the other day about someone who had this message yet their coolant level was fine so suspected a faulty sensor.

You can get pre-mixed coolant from Halfords. I guess Audi will probably sell it aswell
  4. vinceemmery

vinceemmery Member

[Nov 9, 2008]
    i had the same coolant message a week or so ago my coolant was perfectly fine on the max ,it never loses any coolant, and only had the message twice on 2 consecutive mornings when the car first started on a cold morning have not had it since
  5. kanievsky

kanievsky Member

[Nov 9, 2008]
    You don`t want to use halfords or any other stuff but get your self a bottle of VAG coolant it`s called G12+ and you can get it from any Audi, VW, Seat or Skoda garage.
    Your carhas warranty so take it to stealers and get it checked imediatelly.
  6. KARL

KARL Member

[Nov 10, 2008]
    Took it into the garage to have it checked, turns out i've had rats getting under the bonnet and gnawing through all the wiring. I keep my car in an underground car park :(