1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant loss + ESP in the snow??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by razor123, Dec 20, 2010.

1. razor123

razor123 New Member

I have a 2010 A3 140 Tdi. Had to leave the car at a hotel on Sat night as couldn't get out of the car park, came back the following morning and when I started the engine it flashed up turn engine off and check coolant level. Assumed it must have been frozen and set off home.

Anyway it has done the same again this morning, question.... what level should the coolant be up to when checking as it does look low and whats the best thing to top up with.

As an aside also in the snow ESP on or off???

Thanks

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Sepi

Sepi New Member

Correct Coolant is VAG spec G12 from any motor factor or G12+ if buying from Audi.

4. Sepi

Sepi New Member

There should be a mark on the side of your coolant expansion tank.

[​IMG]

The bottom line shows the minimum, and the top of the max amount of coolant.

I would check theres enough coolant in the system and that its not just water. I would certainly not be driving the car if it is mainly water as if it freezes it will result in your water pump blowing.

G12 is fairly cheap, its around £7.50 from Euro Car Parts/GSF or similar motor factors, always handy to keep a bottle in the car. A full system needs about 3 bottles ( with the rest mixed with water.. ).

The colour of G12 is pinky/fluro colour, if your coolant in the expansion tank is clear and looks like water than i'd be pretty worried and certainly wouldnt just leave it.

Hope that helps

S

5. BigBird

BigBird Lost in music...

Is it losing fluid or just a faulty sensor when the fluid was already lowish anyway?

See if it keeps doing it once you've topped the level up, as the coolant reservior sensors can go faulty & require replacement of the coolant reservoir bottle. Cheap & easy to fit a new coolant bottle though - even I managed it...

6. razor123

razor123 New Member

It is pink and is def below the min mark from the picture above. Will need to top it up asap then. Thanks for the replies..

7. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

ESP should always be off in the snow

Traction control and snow just doesn't work

8. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep.
    Regional Rep VCDS Map User

turn engine off and check coolant level. Assumed it must have been frozen and set off home

and you drove it home no checks
    now if it was frozen it would have cost you £££££££ to get it repaired

9. mike foster

mike foster Fossie
    VCDS Map User

The ESP button in the centre dash - is it supposed to light up (as well as the warning light in the speedo ) when esp is switched off ?

10. TFSI Sport

TFSI Sport Member

Yes both lights will show when the ESP is off

11. mike foster

mike foster Fossie
    VCDS Map User

Cheers mate - I thought so, as I'm sure it did when I first got it !

Lamp knackered obviously !

12. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

Yup

13. Mick a3

Mick a3 Mellow Yellow

I recently replaced my coolant temp sensor as it was nackered,later to find my radiator was cracked in the passenger side lower corner. The coolant was slowly escaping as steam and wasn't visable.

14. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator
    Regional Rep Gold Supporter Team Brill Red Audi A3

that may be my problem its using a bit of coolent and cant find where its leaking from so now its cold might be able to see it lol

15. neil-A3

neil-A3 Member

Just a quick note, it is a 2010 model so I am assuming that it will have all the necassary anti freeze in from new, take it back to audi and get them to check it out under warranty.

ESP should be off, I Think there are 2 stages to turning ESP/ASR off, dont you have to hold the button down for a period of time to turn one off.

First one says ESP off, then next stage says ASR off, not got mine at mo as in dealers so cant double check.

16. Mick a3

Mick a3 Mellow Yellow

Guaranteed it is mate, one of my mechanics mates told me he's forever fitting new radiators to a3's, we done a 24 hr pressure test that showed no leaks, then a new temp sensor and a bottle of radweld!

walla!

17. diggerbucket

diggerbucket New Member

Do not turn your ESP off!

It should only be turned off if you are STUCK, or in DEEP snow. Once you are unstuck, or back on road, packed snow or ice turn it back on again.

You would not believe the trouble it can get you out of, try it in an empty car park to get a feel for it. And while you're there, it would be rude not to try it with the ESP off for a bit....

18. Jonay

Jonay Member

Agreed.

Here's why. Watch all of it.

YouTube - Fifth Gear - Bosch ABS, TC, and VSC

I really want to test this out myself though!

#17 Jonay, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  19. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator
    Regional Rep Gold Supporter Team Brill Red Audi A3

i only turn mine off if im in deep snow otherwise it never goes off they are there for a reason

20. razor123

razor123 New Member

By frozen I meant the sensor... its brand new car so dont expect to be filling it up with coolant and there wasn't a noticable leak. Spoke to audi who said to only fill it if the warning stays on whilst driving which mine did not do and to monitor it as they are having lots of issues in this extreme weather. After checking and checking the level has risen back up and no warnings on start up.

Odd!!?