1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant level dropped then stopped

Lincoln S3 Oct 27, 2011

1. Lincoln S3

Lincoln S3 New Member

When I checked my coolant level last week I noticed it was one or two mm below its usual level . Just checked again and it has fallen no further over the last week . Anyone have any idea why this would happen for the first time in 9000 miles since its last service . Could it be the colder weather ?

2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Lincoln, you have probably been using the heater a lot recently as we get into the winter weather. This would mean that coolant is now often circulating through the heater matrix. A slight leak in the heater matrix or connecting pipes would perhaps explain it. Suggest you run around with the heater off for a week, and then check the level. Repeat with the heater on full and see if there is a difference. Do make sure that the car is sitting on level ground when checking the coolant level. I have noticed that even a slight slope gives a mm of difference. Good luck.

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Think you need to stop worrying mate, mm's arent the time to worry, its when it becomes cm's/inches you need to get the air raid sirens out, just keep an eye on it weekly, if it continues to drop at a rate then check it out.