1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant leak

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AVLO, Dec 15, 2013.

1. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Right folks ive had an issue for a couple of weeks now in the effect that i have been losing coolant but had no leaks on to the floor, so on that note i had a block test carried out which actually changed the colour of the fluid to a green/yellow colour which i suspect to be carbon monoxide but it took quite a while to change colour (4-5 mins). But yesterday at the local ASN meet i noticed a leak that i have never noticed before so on that note i begun to look for leaks under the bonet! i managed to trace it down to a drip coming from the Coolant Thermostat Housing. So today I took off my CTS housing to look for any cracks and also checked the connecting hoses for splits but I couldn't find anything so on that footing I rebuilt back up after cleaning everything down then I ran her upto temperature and hey presto the dripping reoccurred. My question is could the coolant pressure be pushing coolant out of the hoses as they are only held on by the sprung loaded clips?
  2. Drewvic

Drewvic Member

I forgot to mention that to yesterday I didn't know wether that patch on the floor was off yours or not
    isn't it an air leak you have hahahahahaha
  3. Drewvic

Drewvic Member

also forgot to ask mate where did you say you took your car for mapping and tweaking was it r,tech or summat to do with a nicky??
  4. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Yes it was from mine and it was the first leak I have seen, Now I no it's leaking from the CTS housing somewhere that tells why the leak was so bad with that being on the lower side of the car when I was parked on that incline (all the coolant will have gone to that side and leaked out). But I don't have any air leaks, water leaks are enough :(
  5. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Yes mate it was r-tech in hinckley, Leicestershire.
  6. Drewvic

Drewvic Member

cool thanks for that mate
    that's a strange one then if there is no leak, is the a gasket on the cts??
  7. Drewvic

Drewvic Member

also might be asking for a little help regardin those pipes you were on about in my post mate,
  8. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Not the gasket as its not coming from the lower part of the housing :/
  9. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

Best bet might be to do as the above say because they are more experienced than I then if that doesn't work we can look at the Pcv/boost hoses.
  10. Drewvic

Drewvic Member

cool cool mate will be doing maf test in abit when roads are bit quieter,
    that's gona a pain for you to find then mate and resolve
    hope you get sorted soon mate
  11. AVLO

AVLO Active Member

[​IMG]

this is where the coolant is coming from, the red ring being the main part if left a while but its wet in the yellow ring area straight after being wiped dry with a cloth
  12. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Hi mate, i had this on mine recently, they can have a hairline crack in them and its a common fault on our cars, I had the same and you could barely see it!!

Replaced and all sorted.
    AVLO likes this.
  13. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

As above they split on the casting line and very hard to spot, not to bad from Audi , oh and your thermostat lives next to the alternator not in this..