Coolant leak

AVLO

Reaction score
Right folks ive had an issue for a couple of weeks now in the effect that i have been losing coolant but had no leaks on to the floor, so on that note i had a block test carried out which actually changed the colour of the fluid to a green/yellow colour which i suspect to be carbon monoxide but it took quite a while to change colour (4-5 mins). But yesterday at the local ASN meet i noticed a leak that i have never noticed before so on that note i begun to look for leaks under the bonet! i managed to trace it down to a drip coming from the Coolant Thermostat Housing. So today I took off my CTS housing to look for any cracks and also checked the connecting hoses for splits but I couldn't find anything so on that footing I rebuilt back up after cleaning everything down then I ran her upto temperature and hey presto the dripping reoccurred. My question is could the coolant pressure be pushing coolant out of the hoses as they are only held on by the sprung loaded clips?

I forgot to mention that to yesterday I didn't know wether that patch on the floor was off yours or not
isn't it an air leak you have hahahahahaha

also forgot to ask mate where did you say you took your car for mapping and tweaking was it r,tech or summat to do with a nicky??

Yes it was from mine and it was the first leak I have seen, Now I no it's leaking from the CTS housing somewhere that tells why the leak was so bad with that being on the lower side of the car when I was parked on that incline (all the coolant will have gone to that side and leaked out). But I don't have any air leaks, water leaks are enough :(

Yes mate it was r-tech in hinckley, Leicestershire.

cool thanks for that mate
that's a strange one then if there is no leak, is the a gasket on the cts??

also might be asking for a little help regardin those pipes you were on about in my post mate,

Not the gasket as its not coming from the lower part of the housing :/

also might be asking for a little help regardin those pipes you were on about in my post mate,
Best bet might be to do as the above say because they are more experienced than I then if that doesn't work we can look at the Pcv/boost hoses.

cool cool mate will be doing maf test in abit when roads are bit quieter,
that's gona a pain for you to find then mate and resolve
hope you get sorted soon mate

this is where the coolant is coming from, the red ring being the main part if left a while but its wet in the yellow ring area straight after being wiped dry with a cloth

Hi mate, i had this on mine recently, they can have a hairline crack in them and its a common fault on our cars, I had the same and you could barely see it!!

Replaced and all sorted.

Reactions: scotty_24 and AVLO
Hi all. I know this is an old old thread but I feel my problem is the same but I would just like to see if I can get confirmation?

Is this part pictured. The same as the one tust is circled up in the previous post???

its located on the LHS (near air box) of the car. As you can see its a little leaky leaky.

What's this part called so I can source one? Thanks people!

Yeah same part - coolant flange, just recently replaced mine. 06A 121 132 AP

Reactions: IPG
Have a good look at it - yours might just need a new o-ring for the coolant temp sensor (Green thing), although cheap enough to replace both.

Had a leak there just a month ago new o-ring didnt help at all. Ended up wraping teflon tape round it the kind that plumbers use. That sorted it out for now.

I've a horrible feeling I'll need one of these too. I'm just praying it's not the long metal pipe I need to replace too as I hear they are about £100

I'll be tackling this soon so will add a write up for future reference

Anyone know how to best clean up the orangey stuff that's made a track?

I changed this part on my car yesterday, I laid a bin bag over the gearbox to stop any coolant going on anything and then fitted the new plastic pipe and a new seal and clip for the temp sensor. That's my leak all sorted now. I used carb cleaner to get rid of the mess.

Ive just had this as well, coolant flange leaking and the pipe under it that connects to the metal pipe was split.
These cars are getting old now, things are going to perish! The good thing is, that coolant flange is only about £10 from TPS / Audi