coolant issues...

DA55TER

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
New to the forums, but I own 2 so needed to find some like minded petrol heads.

My problem is with my 55 plate A3 2.0tdi

The expansion bottle seems to fill with air, and expand, pushing all the water/coolant out. Lighting up the coolant level warning light.
Ive had the expansion bottle and the thermostat replaced. But it still happens after a long drive. But then I stop and relieve the pressure light goes off, all is well until I take another long drive.
Temperature stays at constant 90, fan kicks in, mechanic who replaced the parts is also scratching his head.
He did notice alot of K-seal in the coolant. Could this be clogging the pipes? Or the waterpump?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi everyone.
New to the forums, but I own 2 so needed to find some like minded petrol heads.

My problem is with my 55 plate A3 2.0tdi

The expansion bottle seems to fill with air, and expand, pushing all the water/coolant out. Lighting up the coolant level warning light.
Ive had the expansion bottle and the thermostat replaced. But it still happens after a long drive. But then I stop and relieve the pressure light goes off, all is well until I take another long drive.
Temperature stays at constant 90, fan kicks in, mechanic who replaced the parts is also scratching his head.
He did notice alot of K-seal in the coolant. Could this be clogging the pipes? Or the waterpump?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Do you have a good flow as it sounds a bit like you have a water pump issue ,coolant is meant to be pressurised as this increases the boiling I would flush it well I don't like k seal or such ,I would flush it and refill it and make sure you have no air locks

you could have a head/gasket issue but that's worst case scenario !

check the hoses for air by squeezing them and ensuring they are both hot ,check for flow by looking at the small return pipe on the top of the header tank ,have it pressure tested or combustion gas tested.

Radiators were common failures at the end that could explain the k seal.

also so the cap could be faulty it has a pressure relief in it

Last edited: