1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coolant blue or red ?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by dale86, Jun 23, 2013.

1. dale86

dale86 Member

Hi all me and my bro just replaced a nackered coolant pipe on my a4 1.9 tdi and in the garage their was no red coolant left so we just topped it up with the blue can this damage my car ?
  2. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Member

Audi recommends G12 spec, which is red/pink. I believe problems only occur when two different types are mixed but don't quote me on that. Go spend a tenner on 5 litres of pink stuff and 5 litres of de-ionized water and mix 50-50 for peace of mind. That leaves you another 5 litres of mix for any future coolant issues.

A quick google suggests mixing different types can form a jelly-like substance so not ideal. Give the system a flush and use OEM recommended.
  3. dale86

dale86 Member

Oh dear im gona have to get it sorted then its in for a service in the next couple of weeks so ill get them to flush it then thanks audidoodah should it be ok for a week or so .
  4. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Active Member

Current stuff is G13 and the best to use.
  5. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Member

Should be fine temporarily. Just make sure it gets a proper flush when it's changed.

Audi have failed to send me an updated user manual with this new spec...same with the oil ;)
  6. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Active Member

Haha, i'm sure you already know, products develop over time! - G12+ & G12++ has been removed from stock at my local dealerships.

Also - I don't drive the car as intended in the manual, therefore need a different oil!
    The manual also stated to service the car on a long-life schedule - meaning the cams wore out, so I dont take my manual as gospel :)
  7. Audi Doodah

Audi Doodah Member

I'll be careful not to use the 'M' word around you again!!! :wacko:
  8. haytch75

haytch75 Member

I've noticed that my coolant has dropped a bit (not much), I'm hoping it's due to warm weather rather than a leak. Anyway I've bought some G13 and wanted to check it's OK to mix with the G12 that's already in there?

A little more worrying is that my marker float seems to have disappeared. I know it's not essential for operation but I just hope it's not sitting somewhere it shouldn't be and causing a blockage.

Anyone else lost their float?
  9. dale86

dale86 Member

What float lol