1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental Tyres perishing?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ADi Nuff Valves, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ADi Nuff Valves

ADi Nuff Valves Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    I've just had my S3 in for a service and MOT. Everything was fine part from an advisory informing me both front tyres are perishing. Sure enough, when I took a look, there are cracks around the edge of the front tyres. These tyres were fitted by the Audi dealer I bought the car from about two years ago and have covered about 20k miles.

I'm a tad surprised that these branded tyres have gone south after two years. There is plenty of tred left and they look to be wearing evenly (dealer also did a 4 wheel alignment on the car). Any ideas what could've caused this? Haven't done any track days or anything on them. Just normal driving.
  2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    Old rubber. Perhaps tyres have been in stock a few years before being installed on your car.
    Audi like other dealerships often use a third party to supply and install on-site.
    _G_ likes this.
  3. _G_

_G_ Active Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    +1 agreed... on top of this... rubber doesn't always survive harsh winters either. I've had conti's get through one winter and by the second they were showing signs of cracks... and having got through two winters they needed to be changed for the third!
  4. coreythorny

coreythorny Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    Two years and bad weather as stated.
  5. box500

box500 Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    As above - check the date codes on the tyres and report back. IIRC tyres should be changed after 5 years from manufacture date.
  6. mookster

mookster Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    UV can also do damage to the sidewalls. Not that we get that much sun round these parts but parking in the shade would assist with tyre life. I also have some Autosmart vinyl shield that I put on the sidewalls when washing the car, seems to help a little bit aswell.
  7. tdi-man

tdi-man Well-Known Member

[Apr 16, 2013]
    old rubber - check date stamp