Continental Contact Sport

Anito

Reaction score
I have these tyres on my new S4, they don't feel too good in the wet. Anyone else used them that can offer some observations?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Oh Joy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What works for you?

Mich PS2's were pretty good but I found them a little noisey. I'm on Goodyear F1's and find them very good.

Only down side (if you can call it one) is that they seem very senstive to temp change so you need to check/adjust them regularly.

I've heard that the F1 can have a pretty short life span, what do you think?

I've just fitted my A4 with them all round.

Kev.

Seem fine to me. I had them on my TT before and on the S4 now. Perhaps you can get longer life ones but these seem fine and to be honest I'm more into have more performance than longevity (within reason of course).

I had a set of Conti Extreme Contacts and they literally fell apart on the sidewalls on three out of four tyres. In a very big way, ie splits almost 12"-18" on the inside sidewalls.. Complained to Continental direct who didnt want to know and basically lied that they were specified for the American market and shouldnt be sold in the UK. . The only folks that were interested and did something were the company I bought them from. They collected them and proved that they were a UK legal tyre.

So, Continentals, no thanks.... ever.

I just purchase some Dunlop Sport Maxx for my S3 and took it to the Mallory track day. I must say I was VERY impressed with the tyres and it looks as if did not loose too much tread.

I had the Continental Contact Sports before and easily worn them out just going around round abouts.

I decided on the dunlops because I looked on the tire rack (an american company) website where they rate the tyres they carry and it had top marks for every catagory (besides mud and snow) rain, wear, noise, etc. I have had them for about a month now with no complaints.

Rickquattro - Im really interested in your post..

My car was supplied new with Conti Contact Sports.. they lasted fairly well (about 17k if i recall) but Im now on my second set of F1s and very happy with them.. in fact love them to bits - but they take a minute to warm up when its very cold (they creak strangely when turning out of the drive when its bitter..) but overall great tyres.. I got about 15000 out of the last set (i do work them hard though!) and they are MUCH better than the Mich PS2s I had..

However - the only puncture Ive had in the last 10 years.. was one of the Contis.. and it had split all along the inside sidewall..

I didnt think anything much of it at the time, a little shocked but thats all, changed it, no further problem..

But if youve had the same problem on then maybe there is something in it, though it still seems pretty unlucky given the numbers of Audis they must have been fitted to..

Hi there CMS,

Interesting you had a similar experience with the conti's.

Check this out Tyre horror show for what happened to mine.

I found this out by getting new rims/tyres and got the old tyres taken off the old rims, fitted the new stuff at the same time.

The tyre fitter showed me this damage and explained how close to hospital food I might have been. The splits were inside the tyres and on three wheels.

I sent the photo's to Conti via their web site and got a call that went like this,

"Hello sir, thanks for the photos of your tyres. Very interesting. Looking at them, we believe that they are illegal imports and should only have been supplied to the USA. Who ever you got them from must have imported them outside the usual dealer supplier network. They are not approved for sale or use in Europe and would potentially invalidate your car insurance should you have an accident as they are non Europe spec.

Do you want to collect them to have a look or investigate the damage? I asked helpfully thinking they may be interested in finding out why they failed.

"No its fine sir, just dispose of them in the bin, its ok. You should not have been sold them, they are for the American market"

A discussion rambled on a bit and the reason that they were ok for the states is they have straighter roads, less corners..... Yeah really...

All this is a direct conversation with Conti in the UK remember.

I then contacted the company who sold them to me, with the photos.... There was a bit of a mix up here and a bit of blame attached, where I had not blamed anyone, However...

The tyre supplier went through the letters on the sidewall of the tyre at great length and detail and established the tyre was specified for Europe. They then arranged to collect the tyres and check them out. Remember, Conti wanted me to bin them.....

Since bought from the same wheel /tyre supplier again despite the mix up with them thinking I blame them (which I dont and never did at all, ScoTTy, you read it wrong mate), as they were the only ones to actually do something, Conti could'nt give a toss, the lying dodging scumbags...

I thnk they knew that batch was hopelessly poor and were covering their asses...

What did you do with yours?

wow, your pics are EXACTLY like my one went..!

I was on the M4 at the time, enjoying pottering along at the legal speed limit as I always do of course..

I simply had a rumble noise, it was clearly not road surface, hadnt hit anything, so I just slowed, pulled onto the (coned off) hard shoulder and was faced with exactly that on my n/s rear.. To be honest, my feelings at the time were far more positive, so impressed witht the audi, which had been rock solid, no twitch at all despite a totally flat tire that was split worse than id ever seen..

At the time, my assumption was that there must have been a 'normal' puncture for want of a better explanation, and that the split had come from running 'flat' before I noticed the noise.. I really didnt give it any more thought, popped the spare on, got the tyre replace, and felt very confident in the car, that to have maintained that level of safety and stability despite a flat, I didnt really care about the replacement! (and work paid anyway!)

never gave it any more thought til your post!

Seems a monstrous coincidence though.. Ive had motorway speed punctures in the past without that sort of damage, this just seems a bit strange.. I wonder if there may be an element of truth there though, that maybe these tires sidewalls are designed purely with a positive internal pressure in mind? If they were consistently run with a lower than intended pressure, might that cause more flexing/work hardening of the sidewalls?

Im no expert, just interested in this one!

I think also, going back to the topic of the thread, that if I was reading all this I would be thinking twice about the contis.. despite the numbers that must be fitted!

Rick, I don't think its just Continental who treat customers like that. I've had the same b****x from Avon and Dunlop. They all seem quite good at talking bull trying to get themselves out of trouble.
Next time, solicitors letter as first correspondance.
Better still, just avoid them, and tell anyone that will listen to do the same.

Chris.

Yep, I think in hindsight I was a little "kind" to Conti thinking that as the tyres were well worn I had the use out of them as well as already purchasing the new set.

Next time god forbid, not such a nice guy........

It actually stunned me at the time when they were not even bothered to investigate the failure in the materials.... "just pop them in the bin sir"..... problem conveniently disappears....

[ QUOTE ]
wow, your pics are EXACTLY like my one went..!

[/ QUOTE ]

CMS, not quite! I changed all four wheels/tyres at the same time and THREE of them had side wall splits on the inside edge....and who knows how long they had been like that....