Conti 5's vs Conti 2's vs Eagle F1?

Adam Heath

Reaction score
I need to get 2 new tyres this week. Currently have Continental sport contact 2's on the car but not sure whether to stick with the 2's or get the 5's? I also like the sound of the Eagle F1's but having Eagle F1's on the back and my current continentals 2's on the front seems a bit dojy?

Eagle F1 all the way.

A few of my mates are Lunatics driving but they swear by Eagle F1's wouldnt have anyother tyre haha. And trust me the way they drive they need good tyres :racer:

Ideally you should have the same tyres all round.

F1's are an excellent tyre,but you should also consider the Michelin Pilot Supersport which is better by some margin,if available in the correct size for your car.

Eagle F1 all the way.

A few of my mates are Lunatics driving but they swear by Eagle F1's wouldnt have anyother tyre haha. And trust me the way they drive they need good tyres :racer:

Haha! Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about the F1's and that's why I want migrate but like Alex said I'm concerned about having new F1's on the back and my existing conti's up front until they die and I change to F1,s also "/

Got the first mot for the car on sat with Audi and getting 4 X PS3 done - managed to get them for £420 including fitting! and free MOT for life!?

Reactions: Charlie23 and S3Alex
Create poll, job sorted F1 my vote goes to
I also want the F1's but the main question is would you put the F1's on the back and have continentals on the front until they also need changing to F1's? Lol

I also want the F1's but the main question is would you put the F1's on the back and have continentals on the front until they also need changing to F1's? Lol

I've already given my opinion on that one.

You'll be ending up with different grip levels at either end of the car.

Another vote for the F1s here, been running mine for a few months, great tyres. I managed to get a £20 cashback promo from Goodyear as well, worth looking into.

I've already given my opinion on that one.

You'll be ending up with different grip levels at either end of the car.
That's exactly my problem but I want the F1's all round but not willing to dispose of 2 tyres still with 5mm tread :( reckon having the conti 5's and 2's wouldn't be too bad because the tread/grip should be similar?

That's exactly my problem but I want the F1's all round but not willing to dispose of 2 tyres still with 5mm tread :( reckon having the conti 5's and 2's wouldn't be too bad because the tread/grip should be similar?

Part-worn branded tyres seem to sell well on ebay, might be worth considering?

I just got 4 new eagle F1's Assy 2 fitted, Tyres on the drive... they came and fitted them for me. Worked out cheapest and easiest option for me at under £400! F1's are great! Especially in the wet! I however would rather change all 4 at once... maybe sell the 2 good tread conti...?

Unless you are going to be nailing your car everywhere the grip rating will not matter as much if they are 2 F1 and 2 Conti.

Mate i have had Linglongs on the Front and Eagle F1 on the back and i gave that abit of a lead foot now and then and it was fine.

But i bet if i had tracked it i would of noticed it alot probably.

Just go with what you can afford.

Reactions: Compkiler
Ok I've decided to get 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's for £367 fully fitted including wheel balancing and alignment. Does that sound a fair price?

Reactions: Compkiler
I found the wear on the F1's to be terrible grip fine but the wear was awful. I've just ordered Goodyear efficient Grip performance for mine £317 delivered next day from camskill... Got excellent reviews in the tyre tests.

Ok I've decided to get 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's for £367 fully fitted including wheel balancing and alignment. Does that sound a fair price?
Seems a good price

I found the wear on the F1's to be terrible grip fine but the wear was awful. I've just ordered Goodyear efficient Grip performance for mine £317 delivered next day from camskill... Got excellent reviews in the tyre tests.
When you say wear fast how bad? Lol less than 10k a tyre?

When you say wear fast how bad? Lol less than 10k a tyre?
A lot less m8, I had them on less than 12month. It was all even wear so my tracking and wheel alignment was all fine, kid I know at the dexel seemed to think it's because they are now such a soft compound.

You've down graded then S3AEX lol
And yes Adam, that's a good price!

Reactions: Adam Heath
Another vote for F1's for me. Got them on mine for £82 per corner fitted, good grip and seem quiet.

Glad to collar someone using them...what are they like in the wet?

Grip is solid whether it's dry or wet. Wear is great, fuel economy went up a bit and there's less road noise. Best tyres I've ever had. Despite averaging 91% reviews they don't seem to be as popular as Contis (5 - 77%, 2 - 70%) or F1s (82%) and for £280 a set they're a steal!

Reactions: Sayam
You've down graded then S3AEX lol
And yes Adam, that's a good price!
Haha don't think it matters what tyres I put on with the state of the roads in Sheffield I may as well just run on steel rims m8..

Reactions: grainqey and Alex_Wil
I vote for the F1's as well, great tyre. Wear seems not to be an issue for me, I've done about 6000 miles with them so far (including a lot of "spirited" driving) and still got 5-6 mm of thread pattern left..

Haha don't think it matters what tyres I put on with the state of the roads in Sheffield I may as well just run on steel rims m8..

Made me laugh.

So true.

Reactions: S3 AEX
I would rather have 12 months of peace than 18 months of noise.
F1's = noise class 2 70db
EGP = noise class 1 69db

I can't see there been much difference in the tyres at all with grip, noise or wear. I'll try them if I don't like these then I'll try something else next time, I'll try what red says as well with regards to swapping over after 6k. But with regards to your statement of peace over noise??

F1's = noise class 2 70db
EGP = noise class 1 69db

I can't see there been much difference in the tyres at all with grip, noise or wear. I'll try them if I don't like these then I'll try something else next time, I'll try what red says as well with regards to swapping over after 6k. But with regards to your statement of peace over noise??

when I looked I may have been in error but my memory was 72 egp vs 69 f1. since the noise indeed is logarithmic that is a significant difference. I stand corrected.

Reactions: S3 AEX
when I looked I may have been in error but my memory was 72 egp vs 69 f1. since the noise indeed is logarithmic that is a significant difference. I stand corrected.
I think what you may have looked at was the older EfficientGrip (2012) I've ordered the new performance ones (2014) which finished second in the overall tyre tests, my only concern with them is if the side wall is quite soft. Quess I'll find out when I receive them and get em fitted, which should be today.

Just had the efficient performance fitted so I shall let people know what there like in next few days, I'll give them some hammer while it's sunny today then again when it rains Tomoz. So far tho side wall seems fine not spongy and noise is quite.

Another vote for F1s, been running mine for about 5k now and no issues. I got them from tyreleader.co.uk and they were cheap as chips :)

I have Eagle F1 Asy 2's all round on mine and I have to say they are an excellent tyre in most conditions including the odd bit of snow and have worn remarkably well, a testament to their build quality. I usually buy mine off the back of Evo magazine's annual tyre review and as they quite rightly pointed out last time round, the F1 is now a dated tyre design but still performs really really well. It went from 1st in 2013 to 3rd in 2014. Their current top performer is Continental SP5 based on a test in a GTI running 245/45 R17's.

I personally will be putting a new set of F1's on the front in the near future and by the time they wear out the rears will need doing and I will likely swap to SP5's