Contemplating upgrading...

AlexStanley

Reaction score
Website
www.alexstanley.co.uk
As some of you may know I have an S3, and my girlfreind has a TTR.

I'm considering changing the S3 for an S4 - there's nothing wrong with my S3, but I feel I could do with the extra set of doors and hey, you can never have too much power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know that the S3 has been much criticised for lack of steering input etc. etc, but I do have to say that I enjoy driving it around country lanes a little on the fast side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Obviously the S4 is bigger (therefore I'm thinking heavier), so is it still good fun on the country roads or is it just too stodgy?

Not to mention you get a slightly better AWD system. The B6 S4 is a very heavy vehicle compared to your S3, so you may want to take that into consideration, not to mention the much higher price tag!!

I would choose the B5 over the 8E(B6)... Think it looks nicer, and has huge potential... You only need to go in Rams S4 to realise that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A mean **** wolf in sheeps clothing!

Rich

Oh and the B5 isnt THAT much heavier than the S3.. only less than 200kg anyway!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
AndyMac said:
Didn't do very well head to head with the S4 on Top Gears test track though. How much quicker was the S4, a whole 2 seconds? that's impressive, and the S4 is much less common

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember to base opinions on more than one aspect.

Outright performance is one issue, but perhaps the most important is the quality of the driving experience. The S4 may be quicker round the test track (I suspect not however) but that does not reflect the on road driving experience. They are two very different cars, the S4 being quick, stable, secure and reassuring, but ultimately numb, lacking in feedback and adjustability. The M3 (other than the somewhat intert steering) is quick, responsive and makes the driver work for the speed and think about what is going on. You cannot simply jump into an M3 and keep up with the S4, I spend an entire weekend with the M3 and you need that kind of time to work out what it does and how it likes to operate.

S4 great car, M3 much better and more enjoyable drivers car in the real world (and I would argue on track due to read wheel drive).

The M3 article on top gear showed exactly what happends when rough, unmeasured inputs are put into a very neutral RWD car - it goes all over the place, treat the car with a degree of consideration and it will reward far more than the new S4

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree there... But i think i wouls till go for the S4 purely for being a better all rounder!

Rich

I had an S3 then went to an M3 SMG which was a great car but to be quite honest a little too much for everyday use. In the wet it was a real handful if you drive at a reasonable pace and are used to the quattro of the S3. Although I liked the car a lot I sold it and went back to the S3 which is much more useable day to day.

Well I borrowed an S4 for the day yesterday from the local dealer.

Initial findings are mixed - it doesn't feel as if there's that much extra power compared to the S3 now it's been remapped, although the power is available right from the word go rather than waiting for the turbo to spool up, which actually is quite nice...

*Lots* of tyre noise on the motorway, which I was a bit disappointed about...

However, the sound of the V8 under acceleration is quite addictive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was quite impressed with the ride too - it soaks up a lot of the bumps and changes in surface that the S3 transmits straight through to your backside, the former of which I quite like to be honest

To drive, it doesn't feel much bigger than the S3, and it does have the benefit of an extra set of doors which, as I get older seem to have more attraction - obviously I think I'm past my 'boy racer' days and am looking for something a bit more practical at the same time... It also feels a lot more relaxed.

The Bose setup in the S4 is a considerable improvement on the S3, although at low volumes it doesn't sound very good...

I have to say though, the thing that impressed me the most was the full colour DIS! What a huge improvement! It's the simple things...

So all in all, I think it's likely that the S4 is going to be my next car - just got to save my pennies now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Getting back into the S3 after giving the S4 back was an experience - the S3 felt so raw in comparison...

HI Guys,

I would agree with the S4 V M3 opinion above that the M£ is a great car, BUT! using it to go about your everyday business isn't very pleasant. I drove a M3 a few weeks ago and found it very satisfying as you need to put your foot down when you get a chance to drive a car like that. On a quiet road is was awesome to hear the car go through the rev range, though when I got back into town and travelling along at law abiding speed. I found it very jerky (even altering the speed of the auto gear change). As for the S4, I have to say that it is an allrounder. It is hard to tell the difference between them when your not on the track.

S4 all the way.

Cheers,

Ray.

Alex

You will find that the choice of tyre will be critically important on the S4. I took one out on a test-drive and it was very noisy on the dual carriageway - turns out it was using Dunlop tyres. The second car I took out was wearing Pirelli PZeros and the difference in ride quality and noise especially was staggering. The Dunlops made the car feel like it was riding on the rims, not on rubber.

Tone