Consistent TICKING noise? Please help!

97AUDIA418TQ

Reaction score
I currently own a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, and when it is turned on, a consistent TICKING noise emits continusouly from the dash apparently. It follows this pattern... TICK TICK ....PAUSE..... TICK TICK ....PAUSE.... ETC...

Any help as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated!!

You say the noise comes from the dash area, have you tried taking a peak at the relays under the dash to see if it's one of them with a problem?

You'll have to excuse me, but i am still in the learning stage of automobile mechanics... so .. what are relays? and how would i check them?

Relays are electrical switches which use a small amount of current in order to switch a larger current on.

When relays engage no matter how small they are they always make a ticking noise. As far as I understand the relays are hosed under the steering column area in a hidy hole, if you can find them then all you would need to do is listen or even better place your finger on each relay and you'll soon feel if it's ticking in time with the noise you canm hear. If it is the relay ticking then the next question comes is, is it the relay or a wiring fault....and for this I would say sit in the car and lock it so that almost everything is powered down, you know interior lights, windows etc. and then see if the ticking is still their or not, if it still ticks then it may well be wiring, if not then is most likely just a relay.

Having said all of the above it does depend on the type of ticking and the location...amongst many other things.

If it stops after 30s or so, or the frequency of ticks decreases, it couls be the climate control. That clicks, whirrs etc as the motors/ flaps etc adjust themselves internally.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
If it stops after 30s or so, or the frequency of ticks decreases, it couls be the climate control. That clicks, whirrs etc as the motors/ flaps etc adjust themselves internally.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point.

But I am taking it that this problem is new? and therefore only just become apparant and therefore not normal.

Ok, well don't ask me why, but I decided to hit the LOCK/UNLOCK button the remote abotu 5 times fast.. and all of a sudden the clicking noise stopped :-/...

Very very strange... I've been trying to get rid of the noise for a while...

I am still curious as to what would cause that.