Connector help

Bramley

Reaction score
I'm having trouble connection the standard a3 cables to my aftermarket xtrons double din DVD/sat nav etc. anything I'm missing?

I think I have a connector missing from the manufacturer tbh.

So basically I need to connect these together, what do I need?

CarConnector.jpg

XtronsConnector.jpeg

Ye I thought something like that but doesnt look like it would fit hmmm, I have emailed them anyway.

Thanks

Right, spoken to Dynamic sounds and they have nothing that will connect the 2 together.

The supplier says that this is the correct ISO connector supplied but it doesnt fit.

What can I do now? how can I connect them together? can I make one??

the problem is the aftermarket connector, as the audi ones can be converted to work with other brands (alpine, pioneer, kenwood etc.) I have installed many aftermarket systems in audis and i always do so with the use of the connects2 adapters as these work perfectly with the CanBus system and tie up the steering controls.

now the main problem seems that the aftermarket connector you have isnt an actual ISO connector, so at this point i would go back to the manufacturer and see if they can do something about the connector

I guess if you could figure out the pin outs on the connector you could wire it all up yourself but you will probably find some things wont work properly on first try

Ye the problem is the aftermarket connector, they dont seem to understand tho, grrrr

So if worst comes to worst, could they just be soldered together or something ?

yh but like i said finding out how to connect it all is going to be a headache as the car is can bus so you dont have for instance a power feed etc.
i would probably still get the connects2 adapter as it already has the wire conversion done from Audi CanBus to standard ISO and then try to link up the ISO side to the stereo, should help you out much more.

So linking up the ISO side to the stereo will be alot easier will it?

This is an ISO Connector thing for my year A3 and looks very similar to the one I have. What does the bit I have circled connect to??

Connector.png

I was just using that as an example, what does the circled bit attach to??

Plus the one attached is for an older a3 than mine with steering wheel controls :S

doesnt matter what year yours is as you posted this as your car wiring:

CarConnector.jpg

those plugs match up to these plugs:

CTSAD001.jpg

the steering wheel control box does give you the option to add the wheel controls yes, but also has wires in there to connect into the cars canbus system... believe me i have done enough stereo installs on the A3.

Just seen this on the website -
2) ISO Connection Block / Wires
D002 / TD5801 without block
These units do not come with ISO standard wires for speaker, power and radio. You can get the correct connector locally for your car for easy connection. Alternatively, you can join the wires together. D702 / D4302 / TD702 with block
These units come with ISO standard block, you can plug and go different cars come with different connection blocks of shape and size, but if your car has ISO standard connector, it will fit. Standard ISO connecting blocks for the car can be easily acquired locally.

So I'm guessing they want me to convert myself anyway

Ah right I see, sorry not doubting your ability, just trying to gert my head around it.

So the canbus box in the pic would be the same as the one supplied then??
Also as you can see the connector into the back of the unit is dif to the above pic, so that is the end i will need to change??

http://www.xtrons.com/Files/PF71A3A/PF71A3A-11.jpg

PF71A3A-11.jpg

Ok so it looks like the unit comes with the cabling that you would typically use on a quadlock connector so no other wiring adapter would be needed. the only problem is that your car is not quadlock so you need an Audi ISO to Quadlock converter.
Its commonly used to install the Audi RNSE units as they are all quadlock.

do your own search into it as im not 100% sure that is the quadlock connector on that wiring harness you already have but this should do the trick:

Audi A3 A4 A6 TT Allroad RNS-E sat nav PLUG PLAY adapter navigation installation | eBay

Wow now im confused!

Thanks for your help.

To me it doesnt look like they would match up completely?? :unsure:

ok so im going to use a load of pictures to help me explain this one as it should make it easier to understand.

here is what you have in your car:

CarConnector.jpg

and this is what you find in the newer A3's (quadlock connector)

Audi5.jpg

you will notice that the quadlock in the car is a female connector.
so you would need the male end to go into it...

this is the back of an Audi Sat nav unit with the male quadlock:

rnse-back.jpg

notice how that back of the Sat nav unit has the connector that looks like the one that comes with your aftermarket unit:

XtronsConnector.jpeg

PF71A3A-11.jpg

now to convert your current wires in the car to match that of the wiring adapter for the aftermarket unit im thinking you would need one of these:

$(KGrHqF,!hEE-FdmSisJBQCON+Lr6w~~60_58.JPG

Audi A3 A4 A6 TT Allroad RNS-E sat nav PLUG PLAY adapter navigation installation | eBay

that make sense??

Yes I've sort of got my head around it! Thanks so much for your help and patience!

Also in the picture of the quadlock adapter for RNS-E, it has 4 connectors where as I have 3, does this matter or is one just ok hangin down?

yh that should be fine, its an extra connector i think for extra accessories you could have had in your car. not that would matter anyway as your new headunit probably not compatible with it.

leave it hanging... a lil to the left :jester:

Looking at a comparison of my pins and the RNS-E pins, the RNS-E pins look to be all in a row where as mine are abit scattered and I have one more pin, hmmm can i move these around?

no you shouldnt need to, the pins will be in the right place depending on what wire it is picking up the signal for. best to try it as it is and go from there.

but if you are really in need of moving wires here is something that should also help you out.

Wiring diagrams for the 3 plugs you have:

DSC_0001-7.jpg

Wiring diagrams for the RNSE Quadlock:

RNSeAuxIn005.jpg

no you shouldnt need to, the pins will be in the right place depending on what wire it is picking up the signal for. best to try it as it is and go from there.

but if you are really in need of moving wires here is something that should also help you out.

Wiring diagrams for the 3 plugs you have:

DSC_0001-7.jpg

Wiring diagrams for the RNSE Quadlock:

RNSeAuxIn005.jpg
Thank you bud! Such a big help, although I cant see the first pic?

Ash - System all works fine bar the rear speakers, is there one for a half amplified system??

Your loom should sort that out for you, make sure the settings are all correct on the head unit as I have seen this before on other cars as the system was setup for rear sub which was wrong for that car, that would work if the car had Bose. Also you may need to rewire the rear speakers to the head unit directly if that doesn't work.