confused over A3T headlight unit

darkspin

Reaction score
My foglight on the drivers side was not working so i thought it was a electrical problem so i took it down to a local garage(Weybrdge Vehicles) and got them to have a look. He initially said that the pin for the fog light had come off from the loom hence its not conducting through to the bulb so all made sense. I booked the car in to get repaired and resprayed(see other thread) as well as to sort out the fog light.

Anyway, it turned out that the headlight unit i had on the passengers side was from a S3(5 pin) which had the foglight built in whereas the one on the drivers side was from an A3(4 pin) which only has the main beam and no foglight. So I had to get a S3 one fitted in order to be the same but what i dont understand is if the A3 headlight unit didnt have foglights then why does my car have the controls for the foglights(front and rear) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hope that makes sense

S3 's never had integral foglights in the headlight.

pre facelift or facelift.

they have them low down in the bumper seperatly.

also ALL S3 headlights are Xenons (dipped beam) regardless of prefacelift or facelift model

so something is not quite right in your deductions..

A. you havent got a S3 lamp with a foglight built in..
B. You certainly are not running One S3 xenon headlight , and one A3 Halogen...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The A3 came in 2 versions (prefacelift)... Some with front fogs some without... Either way, the S3 never had fogs built in. Looks like you had one replaced with the incorrect headlight.

Rich