cone filters

• Thread starter imported_kris_tdi
  • Start date
I

imported_kris_tdi

anyone put a cone filter on their tdi?

any improvements?

I have a mate who fitted a K&N filtercharger kit to his Focus TDCi. He's running a Tunit box as well as the K&N and puts out about 138bhp (up from the standard 113bhp). When it was dynoed, they experimented with a panel filter as well as the cone and found the cone yielded 2bhp and 2lb/ft extra, so not much in it.

The tuner said a filter change would work best with a remap, so you should see a benefit.

erm my mates now running a dry unit, stainless filter on his 1.9tdi 115Bhp and the pulling power and noise has increse really well, you can here the turbo wind up better so you know when you are on boost!

i had a cone filter on my old corsa td, it did make a fair bit of noise and i thought it made more responsive, wasn;t sure about these though, guess ill find out 2moro /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

the results:

1. easy too fit, only took 10 - 15 mins
2. on idle it sounds the same, maybe a littel throatier.
3. as soon as you touch the pedal even a tiny bit you get this tremendous whislte, sounds like a jet plane.
4. if you build up the revs slowly it sounds really really throaty, like one of those big block v8's
5. if you then floor it you get a proper v6 grunt, above 3k the whistling stops and it just sounds like a throaty v6 petrol.
oh it picks up a lot better too, feels quicker in all the gears.
well worth it if you have this engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:)

yep me too, but only got the 1.9Tdi i told you it sounded amazing!

conclusive evidence then kris!

i'm getting one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you chip your car or raise the boost at all it will benefit massivly from an induction kit as it will be swallowing up a low more air than standard.
i have found a cone filter highly beneficial on both cars i have owned.

I've heard horror stories about K&N filters and VAG sensors, does anyone know where to get the green cone filter for the 1.9 pd130?

K&N costs £80+ delivery

Ive been told by my mate at VW not to get a green air or k&n filter as these are pre oiled filters!

this pre oiling damages maf sensors! hes had loads in for warrenty for this fault and had to turn them away!

the foam filters are also preoiled. well the pipercross one i had on my old car was. suppose the only other option you have is standard paper or one of those metal ones, although i have heard the filtration on those metal ones is rubbish.

Yea well is suppose if you have it done and its ok why shouldnt it work at the worst, ill have to remove the filter and clean the MAF!

Thats a heat shield you require mate, catalitic convertor sits just off the turbo and produces [censored] loads of mother [censored] heat, get a heat shield or stick the filer on a long pipe !

A friend has suggested that fitting a switch to override the rad fans for use in stationary traffic [via a relay and heavy cable], this should help keep it a little cooler under the bonnet.
I think the 57i kit will be the first mod.
Is the noise a bit overwhelming on a journey?

no, the sound proofing on teh a4 is pretty good, can hardly notice it inside the car, but open the window and all is apparent.

Or get a decent filter like a BMC CDA. An open cone fitler wont give you any power... neither will a CDA for that matter... The standard airbox is not at all restrictive (proven) and will handle well over chipped power. A cone filter is more likely to lose you power... The extra noise makes it feel faster but doesnt actually make it any faster. open cone filter + turbo car = crap

Rich

Soooo Rich, what your saying is forget the filter and get a chip?
Which one and how much should I expect to pay? What gains should I see, feel?

[ QUOTE ]
Soooo Rich, what your saying is forget the filter and get a chip?
Which one and how much should I expect to pay? What gains should I see, feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

A chip is the biggest increase you will get for the £££... definately worth getting! I would suggest AmD as they give a good product with before and after power runs on the Dyno.

What engine is yours?

2.5TDiV6 A5 box 110kw akn, I think the engine details are in there somewhere!

Yeah, wouldnt mind a few extra BHP with mine, but I hear the max is about 205BHP with a 2.5V6 (AKE) and dont think its worth paying £££ for an extra 25 horses!.... although I hear the drive is better...hmmm, need to drive one first.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, wouldnt mind a few extra BHP with mine, but I hear the max is about 205BHP with a 2.5V6 (AKE) and dont think its worth paying £££ for an extra 25 horses!.... although I hear the drive is better...hmmm, need to drive one first.

[/ QUOTE ]

its the torque though, when i got my 2.5 chipped i couldnt believe how much difference it made, it just pulls so much harder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

forget the HP...its the torque. bhp on the TDi means not alot...its the torque. With a chip it would porduce something a bit good!

Rich

I just fitted one of these

click here

It was £13 delivered and doesn't look to oily. I don't know if the car goes any better. I have a PSi tuning box installed aswell. If you load the turbo up before it comes on boost (about 1500 revs) it whistles like mad and lets of a huge hiss when you change gear...... Also if you rev the car in neutral and turn the ignition of the turbo dumps like mad.

Definity worth the £13....

I have just been given an early Christmas present of a K&N cone filter, sorry Rich. The devil made me do it!!

Hi,

I was thinking about getting an induction kit for my car as I've never owned a diesel before.

I've always had them on my petrol cars including a 2.5 V6, and put your foot down in that car & with the kickdown coming in and the change down in a gear the noise was phenomenal!!

sounded like a v8 or or v10!!!

However.....it was too loud for me as people in cars i was overtaking etc were shocked by the initial noise before realising someone was overtaking them!

I'm just hoping (or at least trying to find out prior to buying one) that an induction on a 2.5 v6 TDi is nothing as loud as my petrol version?!

Tdi_dan

i can tell u for a fact it will be nowhere near as loud at a normally aspirated petrol induction noise cos there is a turo in the way which completly drowns out any induction vacuum noise due to the pressure generated from the turbo forcing air in rather than sucking ait in creating a noise.