Concert Radio Code

astronought

Reaction score
Following the installation of a new engine my Concert radio has gone into safe mode. I don't have the code and my local dealer (Whites of Camberley) want to charge me a 1/4 hour labour (£25 inc VAT) for the privilege of finding it out, and then can't book it in until next week. Is charging for this normal practise? Is there another way of finding out the code (any dodgy websites out there)?

At the risk of being grumbled at for re-hashing a much-discussed topic, which oil should I use to top-up? My car (a W-reg 1.8 T) is on the standard 10,000 mile/1 year service schedule. From people's previous posts I am a little confused as most talk about the long-life oil for AVS. The dealer recommended Shell Helix and I see that Shell Helix Plus is 10W40, is this suitable?

Thanks.

Yeah, my dealer did mine for free. (Massingberd Audi - Knarsbourgh)

The parts guy came out took my vin number, looked the code up on his computer and gave me the number (after producing proof of id)

Funny thing is when I put my concert HU back in it didn't need the code??????????? ...... didn't know you could disable it. (mind you my car's last owner did have vagcom)

[ QUOTE ]
Auroan said:

Funny thing is when I put my concert HU back in it didn't need the code??????????? ...... didn't know you could disable it. (mind you my car's last owner did have vagcom)

[/ QUOTE ]

The newer head units don't need the code if you take them out & put them back in the same car, you only need the code if it's going in a different car - there's something about it in the manual.

This happened to me on a previous car & as has been said above, my dealer then noted my VIN number & sourced my radio code on their computer.

No cost!

Go elsewhere if you can.

I spoke to Audi Customer Service this afternoon and they stated that the system of noting the VIN and the dealer using a desktop application no longer works. The only method is to take the car in to the workshop, have it plugged in (to what???), download the vehicle's details and then connect to some secure Audi site which gives request the code.

My nearest dealer (Camberley) confirms this, the dealer from which I bought the car (Portsmouth) says the VIN/desktop application process still works!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I see you are experiencing the delights of Whites Audi customer service team. Unfortunately, Whites is also my local dealer and they never tire of making my life a misery. Anyway, i thought you might like to know that a few months ago they reset the radio code for me for free. Originally they wanted to charge me but when i said i would take my car to Guildford Audi for future servicing if they did they relented. The guy i spoke to was called Ken. Hope this helps.

It is also my misfortune to have Whites as the local dealer. I'd do as Kellerman says and threaten to take it to Guildford Audi. Guildford have got a brand new fancy dealership and Whites are probably losing quite a bit of custom to it.

they are correct it is all part of the security process, i am a licensed technicain and only we LICENCED techs can get your code!
normally the dealer charges about 0.2Lbr to get the code and there is no quick way about it, it actully takes about 15 mins to input the details, once you have got the code it is valid for the life of teh stereo.
it is all recieved through the VAS 5051 and can no longer be done through the desktop PC's as you used to be able to do,that kink on audi desktop is now redundant.
it has been done to help prevent stereo theft, the radio is logged to the chassis and the fazit database only release the code to the correct chassis number, the only exception is when you fit a new radio the database sometimes gets the code wrong the first time VERY OCCASIONALLY!

I just phoned up Croydon Audi and they quoted me £55 inc VAT as they said it was a 30min job. i didnt think it was something i had to pay for so i decided to call Walton Audi and asked for my radio code. They just asked me what my registration was and called me back a few hours later with the info after they checked their systems. They said if it is wrong to just call them back and look into it more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
darkspin said:
I just phoned up Croydon Audi and they quoted me £55 inc VAT as they said it was a 30min job. i didnt think it was something i had to pay for so i decided to call Walton Audi and asked for my radio code. They just asked me what my registration was and called me back a few hours later with the info after they checked their systems. They said if it is wrong to just call them back and look into it more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Walton on thames? Or Walton on the naze?

Cheers,
Adam

[ QUOTE ]
darkspin said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Any idea who you spoke to mate? I've called about 5 dealers now (including the original vendor who failed to complete the radio code card and walton on thames) and they all say the car has to come to them which is kind of a pain because the HU is no longer in the car but I need the code so it could be used in another if needed.

Cheers,
Adam

When I purchased my A3 from Stanstead Audi, I noticed the card with the code was missing, had to put it into Martins Audi (Basingstoke), and was charged about £20, but Stanstead had already agreed to refund me the cost.