Concert III/IPOD

Ian_C

Dorsprung Turch Vechnique
Reaction score
Dudes,

The Ipod on the Concert III - whats the script?

Had my car for a month now, - it has the iPod adapter, but i have only recently got round to sorting out some new tracks before slotting it in and trying it out.

Much to my dismay it doesn't show the name of tracks, and the 6 selector buttons seem to use "tracklists"?

Its a total pain in the ****, I can't find any particular tunes and its impossible to navigate.

Can anyone shed some light on how it works, in simple terms?

Also, am I right in thingking that the Concert III has the ability to read CD's with Mp3 files, as opposed to converted Mp3 audio files? And that I would be able to view file (track) names>?!

Help please!! Disgruntled 2.0T driver, needing easy to find tunes for cruising ;-))

with the ipod connector it uses CD1-5 as the first 5 playlists on the ipod and then CD6 is all tracks.

It doesn't read the track names as the head unit just thinks it is a 6 disc CD changer.

Ian_C said:
Also, am I right in thingking that the Concert III has the ability to read CD's with Mp3 files, as opposed to converted Mp3 audio files? And that I would be able to view file (track) names>?!

Help please!! Disgruntled 2.0T driver, needing easy to find tunes for cruising ;-))

Yes the Concert/Symphony III has the ability to play CDs loaded with MP3 files and can display the track data. You get the choice of filename or /artist/track/album from ID3 tags. There is also a browse mode that enables you to search through all of your MP3 tracks. I chose to have the Symphony III rather than an IPod connection for exactly the reasons you have stated. With 6 CDs loaded with MP3s thats around 4 Gb of MP3s.

It's actually a concert II+ and it uses the same CD changer interface that Audi have used for the past 8 years and it does not support CD text, hence why it emulates the CD changer 6 disks = 6 playlists with 99 tracks in each.

But Audi have made it so the playlists are 1-4 disks 1-4 and disk 5 is the whole Ipod.

s8craig said:
But Audi have made it so the playlists are 1-4 disks 1-4 and disk 5 is the whole Ipod.
Ian_C said:
If you select CD1 on the head unit you get the first playlist on your ipod (the first one in alphabetical order). Changing up and down the tracks will get you all the tracks on that playlist.
If you select CD2 on the head unit you get the second playlist on your ipod.
CD3 and CD4 are the same. I assumed CD5 was the fifth playlist, but craig reckons not.

In either case if I'm right then selecting CD6 will play all the songs on your ipod - if craig is right then selecting CD5 will do this for you (and CD6 presumably does nothing).

With the ipod link the ipod device is locked and you cannot change tracks using the scrolly wheel thing - you have to use the head unit.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the factory ipod link - I went for the Phatnoise jukebox and couldn't recommend it highly enough. If you want to stay on the ipod side of things the there is the denison cable, or the rather nifty looking Harman Kardon mushroom thing.

CD1 to CD5 = playlists 1 to 5 and CD6 = all tracks. Oh and it constantly tells me I"m listening to CD6 when I know damn well I'm not. ARGH!!!! :keule:

Thanks Mitch. Are you working from home today? Can I call round on my way home for a peek at your Dension?

I have to say I was gutted when I used the iPod dock for the first time. Its one area I didn't bother to research well.

I decided to fore-go the satnav head unit for the 6 disc Symphony 3 as I wanted the option of a multichanger and an iPod connection for flexibility. It's the worst decision I made on the spec as the track navigation from iPod is just awful. Only having 5 playlists is just weak, and if I knew what I know now I would have gone the Dension route.

I naturally assumed you'd get full track and playlist visibility on the Driver information display and headunit as the Audi head units had just recently been revamped to accept MP3. Some of our work company cars were still turning up with cassette players so I suppose I should be grateful.

Even still, schoolboy error. Won't be doing that again. I'm sure I saw an A6 with full functionality with DIS, but I must have been dreaming.

A5/A6/A8/Q7 with MMI and MOST can have tracks etc displayed in the DIS. They use the AMI interface for the Ipod and full Ipod browsing is supported with the exception of video.

So you were not dreaming :)

I assumed CD5 was the fifth playlist, but craig reckons not

If thats the case ten it exaplains a lot. Coz i thought 6 was "the entire" Ipod as well, but its not and i keep getting the same freakin songs over and over.

I'm going to give 5 a try - maybe more success there.

All in all i'm very disssapointed - its virtually useless without track names.

Bad Audi.