Concert HU Removal - Or Not as the case maybe!!

h3msy

Reaction score
This may sound like I don't know what I'm doing but....
The sound from the CD on my S3 Concert System is cr4p to say the least. On the Radio/tape you can have it a +3 Bass and it sounds good with no distortion. On the CD you need to put Bass at 0, and even then it crackles and distorts.
I posted this problem on here a few weeks ago and was told to check the lead to the multichanger in the boot. The connection in the boot is OK so i now need to check behing the HU. I went to Halford and bought the correct tools and tried pulling the stereo out in the ten minutes left in my lunch hour, but couldn't do it. I thought I'd leave it till i got home. On the way home however the stereo didn't even work at all, as though its blown a fuse. I've checked the fuses in the dash, they're ok, i guess there will be a fuse in the back of the HU. - When I can get it out!
Are they tricky to get out or have I got a duff stereo thats been messed with before.

I borrowed some keys from my local ICE shop and it took a couple of minutes wiggling the keys around in the slots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but it just sort of clicked and popped out a side at a time

It's sounds like the frame could be a bit duff

I posted here a few days ago asking about removing headunits, but now Im an expert, I'll pass on the info...

You've bought the £3.99 keys from Halfords, like me. Stick one in each special slot, located either side of the radio, along the bottom. You'll see the nice tidy slots. Put each one in so the angled edge is facing inwards. All we're doing here is pushing in a spring each side. Leave the keys in, and stick your mitts in the tape slot and pull! should come out fairly easily.

The reason I was taking mine out, was to have a look at the eratic volume problem everyone has... I unscrewed the front, and left the unit plugged into the back (Theres ALOT of wires back there!) Can't really see any problem, just cleaned the parts, and would you believe it just may have fixed it... I'll post on here if it has, because it will be good news to lots of people! (its not gone wild yet, but it usually requires things to be fairly cold for some reason)

anyway, good luck!

Cheers for the info Paul,
I've done everything you say above but I just seem to be pushing them into fresh air, theres very little resistance on anything back there. I'll keep trying but I suspect theres something ******** in there.

I think so too... when I did it, you could feel all sorts of stuff going on in there. Maybe you can just tug it then, if the springs aren't there? (I guess youve tried that though...)

Bad news if you dislodge the springs by not using the correct tool or by doing it incorrectly the only solutin then is to remove the dash. By pushing the removal tool in too far you blow the fuse on the back of the radio, you may be able to change this by removing the glovebox

[censored]!!!!!! I guess a jigsaw blade would constitute being the wrong tool then! although its the proper tools that blew the fuse.
Ballax...its dash out time. Hope after all this it is the cd cable that wasn't in right otherwise I've done all this for nothing
Guess I'll do a search on dash removal!

You can sort of see what's going on, on the left hand spring by removing the glovebox. You should be able to see the spring and see why it's not working and release it, this may be able to give you an idea on the other side, not involving dash removal.
I don't want to dampen your hopes, but the changer cable is one of three mini ISO connectors that plugs into the back of the unit. The 3 connectors are locked together and plugged into the HU as one plug. It is very unlikely this could come loose without affecting the rear speakers (one of the mini-ISO's is the feed to the rear amp. See pic below

They're the Blue/Green/Yellow plugs. Once you've removed them you can slide them apart to create 3 separate plugs, but they all lock together.
Before you dismantle the car are you able to borrow a changer from someone and just determine whether its the cable or the changer?

Andy,
Unfortunately I have blown the fuse in the stereo with the removal tools (the fuse i am assumimg is in the back of it - I've tried the fuses in the end of the dash) so I can't swap changers.

Do you reckon it could be a bad earth into the changer?? - Its a sort of clicking noise coupled with distortion - as though I'm running Vauxhall Viva speakers and some times it distorts so bad it will just go mute!!?

Cheers for taking the time out and help mate, i appreciate it and will let you know the outcome after the weekend stripdown.