Concert 'CD ERROR' in 2007 S3

DaveyB

No misfires.
Reaction score
As the title suggests I have encountered an error!

My standard double din concert system has always worked fine for the last year or so I have had the car but recently whilst playing 'CD's (which is very rare as I have the crappy ipod dock) the CD freezes and won't eject. 'CD Error' and 'service' flashes up.

A quick web search reveals that this is a 'known; fault but I havent found anything similar on here. The HU is the front loading 6CD version.

What are my options seeing as the car is 2 months out of warranty? Drop kick it up the garden and replace with something else?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hard to say whether it will be cheaper to fix than replace (off the bay / second hand). Problem is, it could happen again with a second hand replacement.

I'd imagine a local electronics firm may be as likely to fix it as Audi as usually it will be laser alignment or failure which isn't a complex fix as most drives are made by a handful of suppliers (philips / Sony etc.).

Have you tried running a TDK laser lens cleaning CD through it just incase it's fluff / dust?

Cheers Warren - those were my thoughts exactly with a replacement, i.e it could happen again if its a design/manufacturer fault.

I will give the TDK idea a go as there is every chance it could be a bit dusty because of the design of the unit. It can't have seen much action due to the mileage/age of the car so its not as if it's 'knackered' so to speak.

Hi DaveyB,

I had similar problem with my sat nav-disc that loads into the front of my RNS-D, it said "cd error" same as yours.

I tried disc cleaner etc but had no luck.......

So i took the unit out, took the top off, stuck a cotton bud in my mouth to dampen it slightly and guided it in very carefully onto the laser and twisted. The cotton bud went black!!!!! I kept doing it until cotton bud was clean and with the last cotton bud i used it dry.

Put the unit back together, put disc in and loaded first time. Never had a problem since :)

Hope this fix will solve your problem to

Paul

Excellent stuff Paul - great to have another plan of attack!

Last edited: