1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer upgrade

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 205man, May 17, 2007.

1. 205man

205man Active Member

as im going to be stuck at home whilst my knee recovers i think im going to upgrade my desktop pc, as i can do my work from my laptop, and ill now have the spare time to upgrade it.

at the moment this is whats inside

msi K7N2 Delta2-LSR motherboard
    amd athlon xp 2100+ (socket a)
    2 gig ddr sdram pc3200
    nvidia geforce fx5500 agp

im looking to get a new motherboard / processor and eventually a new graphics card.

i play a few games but not huge amount as ive the the 360 for that, so it will be used for a lot of photoshop work and cad work.

up until now its been ok for what ive been using it for but i now feel its to slow.

so can i have suggestions for a new board (agp) and processor i want to stay with amd as i have an amd tower case and dont see the need to buy another

im not looking to spend thousands but looking to build a pc that will last me another coupel of years before i need to spend again

alan
  2. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Ok first things firs agp is old news, and if u're doing cad and photoshop u'll be wanting a pci-e board.

You're gonna have to upgrade your power supply anyway so the amd/intel thing is irrelevant.

Aim for a dual core 3.4 p4 or an athlon 64 3500+

DDR2 pc5300 a gig at least

PCi-e geforce 7600GT minimum

That should get you going - i'd expect to pick that lot up for under or about 200

oh and a new power supply(tenner)
  3. 205man

205man Active Member

i knew some one was going to tell me i would need to use pci-e , i thought id ask anyway lol

ill stick with amd as i never had any problems with them so far but just wasnt sure which to go for

cheers

alan
  4. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

5. 205man

205man Active Member

what socket processor should i be thinking of ?

intel and amd
  6. ScoobyA4

ScoobyA4 ding dang do

personally i wouldnt buy from Ebay for electronics, i want to be sure of aftersales support!

I get from here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?n=2,17&n=3354

That pages takes you direct to the Processors so you can browse and choose. remember, 64bit CPU will run 32bit windows (and of course the 64bit version!) so dont worry about that...
  7. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

If you're going amd then a socket 939 is what you'll be wanting, good compromise between price and power available.

With intel try and get a 935 i guess.

The website aboves prices arent too bad at all id have a look on there
  8. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Dont get a dual core processor unless you are or are going to run VISTA. As XP doesnt utilise it correctly and you will see very little performance improvement over a normal processor. I would go for an AMD processor. Not into Intel stuff.

But deffo gp for a pci-e g f/x card. If you wanna push the boat out you could get XBOX 360 graphics if not better on the pc for not alot of money if you go for a beefy GF/x card.
  9. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

I'm an AMD man but I like the look of the new Quad-Core Intel offerings.
    Try overclockers as they have a good selection, i use them and microdirect.

Asus M/B are pretty solid too.
  10. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!