1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer keeps resetting whilst driving

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by modern_epic, Feb 16, 2013.

1. modern_epic

modern_epic New Member

[Feb 16, 2013]
    Hi guys,
    im a forum noob. I own a 2003 A3 1.9 TDi sport. Recently I have had a few problems, new door lock and new window regulator but to name a few. Everything is fixed bar this>>>
    When I am driving along and I start to accelerate and reach high (ish) revs, the car electrics seem to restart, mpg trip computer etc all reset, even the fuel gauge shows a different reading to what it was prior to reset.

I imagine this must be a loose connection which is being loosened further whilst car accelerates and engine moves a bit. My problem is I have no idea where or how to check for this loose connection.

Come to think of it there is one more thing Id like to ask, sometimes when I go to brake the pedal is really stiff and car takes a while to slow. If i quickly tap accelerator with clutch in then just the brake again it is fine.

Many thanks in advance for any replies at all.

Steve
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 16, 2013]
    I would scan for fault codes in the first instance... anything electrical should throw some sort of code somewhere (even if its not the actual fault it may elude to what is)... as for the the brake pedal... it would normally go stiff and take a lot of braking effort if the servo loses vacuum... I would check the vacuum pipes as a precaution...

<tuffty/>
  4. modern_epic

modern_epic New Member

[Feb 16, 2013]
    cheers for your reply!

im not the most mechanically gifted person shall we say, could you perhaps point me in the direction as to where the vacuum pipes are? also, how would I scan for codes? would i need to buy the vagcom lead and program?
  5. modern_epic

modern_epic New Member

[Feb 18, 2013]
    Well, the electrical problem is fixed. Turns out the hid power unit box thingy had fallen from where it was attached and was hanging down beside the timing belt. Every time i accelerated to overtake etc the box swung a across and took a battering, which must be what was causing the on board dash to reset everything etc.

As for the braking problem, Im getting the servo checked today to see whats going on with that. I read another article (think it was on here) saying that the pipes were losing pressure when the engine was at an odd angle, such as whilst braking or accelerating. Ill have a look today though and see how i get on. Cheers again!
  6. andy1571

andy1571 Member

[Sep 1, 2013]
    did you find out what it was m8, ive just had exactly the same on mine.. computer resetting first and now the brakes stiff after accelerating, i did get an abs error but after clearing it hasnt returned
  7. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Sep 1, 2013]
    The earths for the dash are under the battery tray. worth cleaning them up. Do other car electrics switch off too?
  8. modern_epic

modern_epic New Member

[Sep 1, 2013]
    The electrics resetting were because of the xenon unit getting hit as it had fallen and was swinging freely beside engine. When it got hit it must have shorted the electrics for a second then it all reset. Was a very odd circumstance. As for the stiff breaking pedal I never did get down to the bottom of that. It does seem to be a lot better now though. Cars going in for a service soon so if I find out any more about it ill let you know for sure. Seems to be a very rare problem.
    andy1571 likes this.
  9. modern_epic

modern_epic New Member

[Sep 1, 2013]
    Seems very common on a4's http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?701-Audi-A4-Brake-Failure-Problem

Seems we have to replace the grommet running through the bulkhead. Parts seem cheap enough.

I honestly can't remember the last time my brake pedal has been stiff, but I'm thinking I've just got used to it now. I'm going to work on it this week and see what happens.
    Seems to be the servo pipe collapses on itself if the brake pedal is pressed twice quickly in succession, replacing the grommet which the pipe runs through seems to be the fix. Trying to find out if its a different sized one to be fitted as surely replacing with the same one will do nothing.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    andy1571 likes this.
  10. andy1571

andy1571 Member

[Nov 17, 2013]
    all the other electrics seem fine just the red led panel, after i disconnected the battery last time its started to work il look at the earth straps an give em a clean, i was planning on sorting the earths out anyway after reading the post about it