Compression test results

autolatry

Reaction score
I finally got round to pressure testing the car today. The results are bad, very bad.

Cylinder 1 - 185psi
cylinder 2 - 98 (110 wet)
Cylinder 3 - 99
cylinder 4 - 155
cylinder 5 - 130
cylinder 6 - 125

Does anyone know what the pressure should be?

Im going to get the HG and chains replaced in any case.

Dont have access to the specs they should be, but clearly yours are down.
As a rough idea, 150 ish is normally ok (on engines ive worked on), but again, i dont know what the specs for yours should be, obviously different engine designs specify different specs.

A wet test is mainly to test the rings. As thats what the oil will coat mostly.

Not knowing what happened, or whats wrong, id say HG leaking between cylinders 2/3. Assuming you haven bent valves etc, but you would know about that.
A Leak down test is also worth while.

Sure someone with better spec data will be along soon.

Thanks. I was going to wet test all the cylinders but it was very difficult to get the oil in without it running down the side and taking crap into the cylinder.
I assumed the HG had gone due to the watery **** that is my oil.
The cars just turned 100000 miles now. If I'm getting the head taken off it's probably worth changing the rings as well?
The timing chains going to get done at the same time and the clutch and DMF were replaced a few months ago. So hopefully once this works done I should be able to keep it out of the garage for a few years.

Rings are a lot more work on top of the head gasket. Means removing sump and baffles, undoing all conrods, removing pistons, fitting rings, and reinstalling.