Completely New 2010 A3

GlasgowRangers

Reaction score
When is the new look A3 to be launched? Are rumours of a 4 door sedan true? Does anybody have any pics?

As far as I know Audi do not intend to launch a new A3 until at least 2011, maybe 2012. Other than that I have not seen any confirmed details.

You are joking. I was hoping end of 2010 at latest. I may have to look at other brands but was really hoping to get the new A3 next year. Many sites indicate 2010.

audi-a3-v-2010-jpg_100204604_l.jpg

You are joking. I was hoping end of 2010 at latest. I may have to look at other brands but was really hoping to get the new A3 next year. Many sites indicate 2010.

We are already in the 2010 Model Year as far as Audi is concerned and I don't see if being available for 2011 Model Year which starts in July 2010 but who, apart from Audi themselves, knows for sure. As soon as they release details of the new model the sales of the existing model will take a hit.

This is a comment from a recent Autocar magazine:
The new Audi A3 will go on sale in early 2011 and the saloon model will sit alongside the hatchback, sportback and cabriolet body styles.

You could always buy another existing A3...

Last edited:
Both the 8P1 and 8P2 were around for about 3 years so I'd expect the same at least for the 8P3, i.e. MY12.

Don't forget the MkVI Golf is only just out on the same platform and the MkV was around for 5 or so years.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an 8P4. Given that Audi seem to be selling more A3s than ever before I don't see why they'd need to change the shape completely.

Both the 8P1 and 8P2 were around for about 3 years so I'd expect the same at least for the 8P3, i.e. MY12.

Don't forget the MkVI Golf is only just out on the same platform and the MkV was around for 5 or so years.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an 8P4. Given that Audi seem to be selling more A3s than ever before I don't see why they'd need to change the shape completely.

So this is shared with the Golf MK VI, does anyone know which other VAG cars use this?

Does this mean normally Audi lead the way in designing a new chassis from the ground up and then this gets filtered down to VW, Seat and then Skoda?

So this is shared with the Golf MK VI, does anyone know which other VAG cars use this?

Does this mean normally Audi lead the way in designing a new chassis from the ground up and then this gets filtered down to VW, Seat and then Skoda?

I think you will find it's the other way round. VW design the platform for the Golf and then Audi use the same platform for the A3, but with some minor changes. I don't think anyone else the group is currently using the Golf VI platform.

As far as their smaller cars are concerned Audi are currently working on getting the A1 into full production.

Last edited:
I think you will find it's the other way round. VW design the platform for the Golf and then Audi use the same platform for the A3, but with some minor changes. I don't think anyone else the group is currently using the Golf VI platform.

As far as their smaller cars are concerned Audi are currently working on getting the A1 into full production.

Is that right? I assumed it was the other way round, The 8P was out a whole year earlier than the mk5 golf.

Also the fabia/Ibizas are always out before the POLO.

Is that right? I assumed it was the other way round, The 8P was out a whole year earlier than the mk5 golf.

Also the fabia/Ibizas are always out before the POLO.

In the case of the Fabia/Ibizas VW often use one of the other brands to try out the new platform before putting in production on a VW model. The numbers involved are a lot less for the other brands.

I think you will find it's the VW design office that does most of the work on any new VAG platform, although it is sometimes used by one of the other brands first. Audi tend to do more of the design work on the engines and gearboxes for the group, although the DSG/S-tonic was originally designed by VW in conjuction with Borg-Warner. Audi used the DSG in the A3 and then started work on the necessary changes to make it work with their North-South engine layout.

Ah I thought the MkVI was the same platform as the MkV. It's not exactly a big change between them.

So I guess they will make a new model after all.

Here is a list of the current VAG models that use the PQ35 platform used by the A3 8P. As you can see the fist model to use it was the Volkwagen Touran followed by the A3.

* 2003 Volkwagen Touran
* 2004 Audi A3 II
* 2004 Volkswagen Caddy
* 2004 SEAT Altea
* 2004 VW Golf/Rabbit V
* 2005 Skoda Octavia II
* 2005 SEAT Toledo III
* 2006 VW Jetta/Vento/Bora V
* 2006 SEAT Leon II
* 2007 VW Eos
* 2007 Audi TT II
* 2008 Volkswagen Tiguan (compact crossover SUV)

The new Golf 6 is built on a modified version of the existing PQ35 platform rather than a completely new platform and I assume the new A3 will also be built on a similar modified version. The main changes, apart from appearance between the Golf 5 and 6, were done to make it easier and therefore cheaper to build.

Others can confirm (or otherwise) the accuracy of this, but i think the first few dates have been accurate. Spotted this @ tyresmoke at the back end of 2007 - infers new A3 towards the end of 2010. No doubt things could have moved on / delayed since this, but I'd imagine this date to be the earliest thought for the new one.

1264257-audi_model_rollout_schedule_2012_leaked.jpg

Which will almost certainly mean very late 2010 or early 2011 for the UK and possibly not all models available at the launch.