1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparison Help

cbass Oct 27, 2004

1. cbass

cbass Member

Hey guys, I will be replacing the Bose Concert HU in my 98 A4 1.8T. I have narrowed it down to a few different choices, but I don't know as much as I would like to know about stereo equipment and I need some help knowing the differences in these HU's. I am trying to figure out if spending the extra money is going to be worth it.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to an Alpine unit from different things I have heard, but if anybody has any input on Alpines, that would be great also!

In NO particular order:

Option #1 - Alpine CDA-9830

Option #2 - Alpine CDA-9831

Option #3 (Long shot b/c of price) - Alpine CDA-9833

Now, don't just tell me the one that is more expensive is better, I want to know what the benefits are to some of the features of the more expensive ones. That way I can weigh the options better.

TIA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

2. cbass

cbass Member

Thanks for the help. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 9830 and 9831 is that you can change the color of the buttons on the 9831 and not on the 9830. I am still trying to debate if the extra money is worth it. I can get them for much cheaper than what that site says anyway.

About the 6 channel vs 3 channel crossover, exactly what does that mean. I know that crossover has something to do with making the right pitches of sound go to the right speakers.

And what about the 6 channel vs 4 channel digital time correction, what does that do?

Thanks, I know the car related stuff, but I'm just learning the ICE stuff. Any help is appreciated!

PS. thanks for the info Richy, I don't know that I will end up going with the 9833, but if I can get it for a good enough price in relation to the others, I might.

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

9830 & 9831 are exactly the same in spec, so no idea why one is more expensive.
    The 9833 is 10w per channel more powerful and it has 6 channel Xover instead of 3, and 6 channel digital time correction instead of 4, and 5 band parametric EQ.
    So really just more things to fiddle with.

4. richy

richy Member

to be fair ive got the 9833 and well i cant figure out all the bits that it does.. im not one for spending time reading the manual..

5. imported_Pottsy

imported_Pottsy Guest

Never quite understood why Alpine offer 6 and 4 channel time correction, assuming you don't have 2 subs. You always set the furthest speaker to 0ms delay. Normally the sub. Then delay the 2 front and 2 rear speakers.

So for 4 channel, just calculate as normal, pretending there's a sub set at zero. For 6 channel, excactly the same except you do set the sub at 0.

FWIW, just installed a Boston C110 competitor into my A4 B6 Avant. Bass sounded muddled. Tried different X-over frequencies and slopes, but still not quite right. Reversed the phase and miles worse. Entered the time delays and Woo Hoo! Tight, integrated, punchy bass.