1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company car tax warning - diesel users

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Amchlolor, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 26, 2006]
    I know I'm not the only company car user here.
    Watch when you get your new PAYE coding for 2006/2007.
    They were trying to sting me for another 3% on the car benefit and the fuel benefit.
    That should only apply to cars registered after 1.1.06,but they don't appear to know this themselves.
    They had to "go and check" to confirm that,yes indeed,I shouldn't be getting charged another 3% for a car registered in 2005.

I've no reason to suspect I'm the only one they've made this mistake with as,on first contact,they seemed to think it was ALL diesels,regardless of age.

Unbelievable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Jan 26, 2006]
    Shame Audi do not offer the equivalent of Nissna Navaro / Mitsubushi L200 pick up truck.... Tax is a flat rate of not a lot.....
  4. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[Jan 26, 2006]
    Thanks for the warning Bowfer....the tax boys can be a real challenge
  5. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[Jan 26, 2006]
    Do HMRC have your correct car details? Is it the company that tells HMRC to take you at a certain rate, or does HMRC work it out for themselves based on the information you have supplied about your car?
  6. OutLore

OutLore VOIP Dude

[Jan 26, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shame Audi do not offer the equivalent of Nissna Navaro / Mitsubushi L200 pick up truck.... Tax is a flat rate of not a lot.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Only until 2007....
  7. [Jan 26, 2006]
    yes, but even in 2007 it only jumps from £500 to a BIK rate of £3k.. still masses less than any equivalent priced car!

I had an L200 Animal, full leather, extra canopy, the works, before moving to the AUdi.. loaded to a list price of around £25k but still just £12 a month income tax! and what a laugh it was! great fun, massively practical and the tax break just made it even better! To be honest, for 30k+ miles pa it wasnt the best ever drive - a long way from uncomfortable but not a fair comparison with the Audi.. THe Mitsi official remap helped a lot too..

I miss the tax rate (the audi costs me £170 a month compared to the £12 of the truck).. I miss the 'chuck in anything' practicality.. dont miss the road noise or the fuel consumption though!
  8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jan 27, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do HMRC have your correct car details? Is it the company that tells HMRC to take you at a certain rate, or does HMRC work it out for themselves based on the information you have supplied about your car?

[/ QUOTE ]

They work it out based on info you give them and the P11D forms that your employer sends them every September/October.

The P11D info will always over-ride the info you give them,so you have to keep an eye on your employer as well.

It doesn't seem to matter if the info is correct,there is still plenty of scope for them to make errors.

For as long as I've had company cars,I've had running-battles with them about the tax.

What concerns me is the fact that for every bloke like me,willing to dispute their figures,there are umpteens more who just accept they "must be right".
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
  9. imported_S_Line

imported_S_Line Guest

[Jan 27, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mmm i ordered a Navar and am still waiting for delivery, dealer say they cant make them quick enough to meet demand ! ive been waiting 3 months allready !
  10. miketweed

miketweed Member

[Jan 29, 2006]
    Think how much they make from the thousands who don't query it???

Thats why a few years back I started to pay an accountant £75 to do my self assesment for me. He's saved me more in the first year than it will cost me to pay him for the next 20 years.

And now I choose to keep my tax code unaltered at the full allowance and pay the benefits taxes by cheque 10 months after the end of the year.

So the money stays in my bank gaining interest instead of the greedy HMRC!!
  11. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Member

[Jan 29, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know I'm not the only company car user here.
    Watch when you get your new PAYE coding for 2006/2007.
    They were trying to sting me for another 3% on the car benefit and the fuel benefit.
    That should only apply to cars registered after 1.1.06,but they don't appear to know this themselves.
    They had to "go and check" to confirm that,yes indeed,I shouldn't be getting charged another 3% for a car registered in 2005.

I've no reason to suspect I'm the only one they've made this mistake with as,on first contact,they seemed to think it was ALL diesels,regardless of age.

Unbelievable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip on this one Bowfer - you are in Aberdeen and my company's tax office is in Portsmouth - and they have got it wrong....

Checking the revenue's web site out I found this very confusing document which has no doubt beaten the revenue folks too Confusing revenue document on 2006/7 Company Car Tax/Fuel benefit rules

I'd respectfully suggest that everybody with a company car checks carefully now,,,,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif