1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common problems?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by golf, Feb 2, 2007.

1. golf

golf ***** rent boy

Hey guys,

I'm going to see a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T with 90k on the clock this coming week and I was wondering what problems I should look out for?

Having had the same engine in my current Golf, I'm fairly clued up as to how it works and that coilpacks fail. But in the A4 I understand that fuel pumps can go, and destroy the engine.

What things should I check over thoroughly? I don't want to buy a lemon.

Also is the standard Audi Satellite Navigation any good? It's the one without the screen (ie not SatNav Plus)?

Cheers fella's (there's no women on this forum are there? :ninja:)
  2. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

check the cambelt has been replaced, i think it should be done at 80k (it was on mine)
  3. pav-g

pav-g Member

Check suspension, should have sports set up any noises when your going over bumps - the ball joints, shocks will need replacing.. good luck.
  4. golf

golf ***** rent boy

Thanks for the tips fella's.

The seller says the cambelt was replaced at 85k, and the cars just done 94k. It's a bloody good deal, the owner is willing to let it go for £5000, which seems too good to be true, but I won the bid on ebay and he said he will honour it. Just a bit risky to buy a car without having seen it though!